* What is the use of derived-mode-add-parents?
@ 2024-03-18  7:34 Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2024-03-18  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Development

I am working on a new -ts-mode for Move language. Rust is the closest
language so I am looking at rust-ts-mode's code. There I encountered a
call in the end,

(derived-mode-add-parents 'rust-ts-mode '(rust-mode))

I need help in understanding what this call does. The docstring says this,

(defun derived-mode-add-parents (mode extra-parents)
  "Add EXTRA-PARENTS to the parents of MODE.
Declares the parents of MODE to be its main parent (as defined
in `define-derived-mode') plus EXTRA-PARENTS, which should be a list
of symbols."
  (put mode 'derived-mode-extra-parents extra-parents)
  (derived-mode--flush mode))

Please help me understand, what is the use of parent modes?

At the beginning of the file, there is

(define-derived-mode rust-ts-mode prog-mode "Rust"
  "Major mode for editing Rust, powered by tree-sitter."
  :group 'rust
  :syntax-table rust-ts-mode--syntax-table

What I understand here is that we borrow certain features from parent
modes. But it is not clear to me, how we borrow these features by simply
calling defived-mode-add-parents or define-derived-mode.

* Re: What is the use of derived-mode-add-parents?
@ 2024-03-18 13:25 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-03-18 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Jangid; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org>
> Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 13:04:51 +0530
>
> I am working on a new -ts-mode for Move language. Rust is the closest
> language so I am looking at rust-ts-mode's code. There I encountered a
> call in the end,
>
> (derived-mode-add-parents 'rust-ts-mode '(rust-mode))
>
> I need help in understanding what this call does. The docstring says this,

> (defun derived-mode-add-parents (mode extra-parents)
>   "Add EXTRA-PARENTS to the parents of MODE.
> Declares the parents of MODE to be its main parent (as defined
> in `define-derived-mode') plus EXTRA-PARENTS, which should be a list
> of symbols."
>   (put mode 'derived-mode-extra-parents extra-parents)
>   (derived-mode--flush mode))
>
> Please help me understand, what is the use of parent modes?

Did you read the documentation of derived-mode-add-parents in the
ELisp manual?  I think it attempts to answer your questions.

* Re: What is the use of derived-mode-add-parents?
@ 2024-03-19  4:49   ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2024-03-19  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Please help me understand, what is the use of parent modes?
>
> Did you read the documentation of derived-mode-add-parents in the
> ELisp manual?  I think it attempts to answer your questions.

Thanks. Great reminder. 🤦