* Re: master e45dbdc: package--ensure-init-file: widen requires save-restriction
       [not found] ` <E1Yi6MR-00086O-AO@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2015-04-15 15:32   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2015-04-15 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Sam Steingold

Sam Steingold wrote:

> Commit: Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org>
>
>     package--ensure-init-file: widen requires save-restriction

Please use a ChangeLog-like format for your commit messages. Eg

* lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el (package--ensure-init-file): Save restriction.

Also, please could people stop omitting portions of the file path in logs.
Ie stop writing eg "* package.el" or "* emacs-lisp/package.el", as in

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-diffs/2015-04/msg00245.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-diffs/2015-04/msg00237.html

* Re: master e45dbdc: package--ensure-init-file: widen requires save-restriction
@ 2015-04-15 16:21     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-04-15 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Sam Steingold, emacs-devel

> Also, please could people stop omitting portions of the file path in logs.
> Ie stop writing eg "* package.el" or "* emacs-lisp/package.el", as in

That's often needed to fit within the single-line summary.

* Re: master e45dbdc: package--ensure-init-file: widen requires save-restriction
@ 2015-04-15 17:06     ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2015-04-15 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> * Glenn Morris <etz@tah.bet> [2015-04-15 11:32:35 -0400]:
>
> Sam Steingold wrote:
>
>> Commit: Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org>
>>
>>     package--ensure-init-file: widen requires save-restriction
>
> Please use a ChangeLog-like format for your commit messages. Eg
>
> * lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el (package--ensure-init-file): Save restriction.

I am confused.
We can get file information from git.
Why do we need to introduce this constraint on messages just as we
celebrating liberation from ChangeLog files?

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1347
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://ffii.org http://mideasttruth.com

* Re: master e45dbdc: package--ensure-init-file: widen requires save-restriction
@ 2015-04-15 17:20       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2015-04-15 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> Also, please could people stop omitting portions of the file path in logs.
>> Ie stop writing eg "* package.el" or "* emacs-lisp/package.el", as in
>
> That's often needed to fit within the single-line summary.

IMO you'll have to give up on that trick now. If using the full filename
results in too long a line, you'll have to add one of those silly first
lines that basically says the same thing as the actual entry, just to
make git happy. This is the system people wanted.

(BTW, I fixed the emacs-diffs mails some time ago to not have that silly
need for a blank line. So no need to bother with that on their account.)

* Re: master e45dbdc: package--ensure-init-file: widen requires save-restriction
@ 2015-04-15 17:34       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-04-15 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sds; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org>
> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 13:06:12 -0400
>
> > * Glenn Morris <etz@tah.bet> [2015-04-15 11:32:35 -0400]:
> >
> > Sam Steingold wrote:
> >
> >> Commit: Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org>
> >>
> >>     package--ensure-init-file: widen requires save-restriction
> >
> > Please use a ChangeLog-like format for your commit messages. Eg
> >
> > * lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el (package--ensure-init-file): Save restriction.
>
> I am confused.
> We can get file information from git.
> Why do we need to introduce this constraint on messages just as we
> celebrating liberation from ChangeLog files?

How else do you expect the ChangeLog to be generated in its correct
format at release time?  By what magic?

* Re: master e45dbdc: package--ensure-init-file: widen requires save-restriction
@ 2015-04-15 18:55         ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2015-04-15 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> * Eli Zaretskii <ryvm@tah.bet> [2015-04-15 20:34:44 +0300]:
>
>> From: Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org>
>> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 13:06:12 -0400
>>
>> > * Glenn Morris <etz@tah.bet> [2015-04-15 11:32:35 -0400]:

>> > Please use a ChangeLog-like format for your commit messages. Eg
>> >
>> > * lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el (package--ensure-init-file): Save restriction.
>>
>> I am confused.
>> We can get file information from git.
>> Why do we need to introduce this constraint on messages just as we
>> celebrating liberation from ChangeLog files?
>
> How else do you expect the ChangeLog to be generated in its correct
> format at release time?  By what magic?

    patch=$(git format-patch -1 $hash)
    files=$(grep 'diff --git' $patch | sed s',^.*b/,,')
    rm $patch

However, I did not realized that we are going to generate ChangeLog
files "in their correct format".
I am sure this has been discussed here and sufficiently convincing
arguments in favor of generating them have been advanced to ensure that
the parties involved would not be swayed by my dismay :-(

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1347
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://memri.org http://islamexposedonline.com

* Re: master e45dbdc: package--ensure-init-file: widen requires save-restriction
@ 2015-04-15 19:14           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-04-15 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sds; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org>
> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 14:55:42 -0400
>
> >> Why do we need to introduce this constraint on messages just as we
> >> celebrating liberation from ChangeLog files?
> >
> > How else do you expect the ChangeLog to be generated in its correct
> > format at release time?  By what magic?
>
>     patch=$(git format-patch -1 $hash)
>     files=$(grep 'diff --git' $patch | sed s',^.*b/,,')
>     rm $patch

This doesn't produce what's supposed to be in ChangeLog.  Without you
writing the log message in the format requested by CONTRIBUTE, the
resulting ChangeLog will not include the information users expect to
see there.  So we need to provide it in the commit log in the first
place.

> However, I did not realized that we are going to generate ChangeLog
> files "in their correct format".
> I am sure this has been discussed here and sufficiently convincing
> arguments in favor of generating them have been advanced to ensure that
> the parties involved would not be swayed by my dismay :-(

Release tarballs need to have the log of the changes, with enough
details for users to be able to understand what was changed, don't you
agree?

* Re: master e45dbdc: package--ensure-init-file: widen requires save-restriction
@ 2015-04-15 19:26         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-04-15 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

> (BTW, I fixed the emacs-diffs mails some time ago to not have that silly
> need for a blank line. So no need to bother with that on their account.)

Great, thanks,