* The annotated example of a complete working Flymake backend leaves process buffers around
@ 2021-10-23  7:17 Rudolf Adamkovič
From: Rudolf Adamkovič @ 2021-10-23  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I noticed that the "annotated example of a complete working Flymake backend" at

<https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/flymake.html#Backend-functions>

leaves zombie buffers around. I traced the problem down to

┌────
│ (when (eq 'exit (process-status proc)) …
└────

The backend kills the process buffer on `'exit' but not on `'signal', which happens when Flymake kills an obsolete in-progress check. I fixed the problem locally with

┌────
│ (let ((status (process-status proc)))
│   (when (or (eq status 'exit) (eq status 'signal))
│     …
└────

I think we should fix the Flymake manual as well.

Rudy
--
"'Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'" -- Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com>
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia

[he/him]

* Re: The annotated example of a complete working Flymake backend leaves process buffers around
@ 2021-10-23  7:43 ` Manuel Uberti
From: Manuel Uberti @ 2021-10-23  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 23/10/21 09:17, Rudolf Adamkovič wrote:
> The backend kills the process buffer on `'exit' but not on `'signal', which happens when Flymake kills an obsolete in-progress check. I fixed the problem locally with
>
> ┌────
> │ (let ((status (process-status proc)))
> │   (when (or (eq status 'exit) (eq status 'signal))
> │     …
> └────

Hi Rudolf,

thank you for this tip, I've applied it to a couple of Flymake backends I worked
on (namely flymake-proselint and flymake-kondor).

Regards

--
Manuel Uberti
www.manueluberti.eu

* Re: The annotated example of a complete working Flymake backend leaves process buffers around
@ 2021-10-23  7:47 ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2021-10-23  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf Adamkovič, emacs-devel

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> writes:

> I noticed that the "annotated example of a complete working Flymake backend" at
>
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/flymake.html#Backend-functions>
>
> leaves zombie buffers around.

Could you send this same message to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org so we can
track it as a bug?

Bug reports unfortunately tend to get forgotten on emacs-devel, due to
the high number of messages and lack of tracking.

Thanks in advance.

* Re: The annotated example of a complete working Flymake backend leaves process buffers around
@ 2021-10-24 20:05   ` Rudolf Adamkovič
From: Rudolf Adamkovič @ 2021-10-24 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Stefan Kangas

> Could you send this same message to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org so we can
> track it as a bug?

Oops! Sorry for the noise. Opened bug#51380.

Thank you, Stefan, for you guidance.

Rudy

--
"Logic is a science of the necessary laws of thought, without which no employment of the understanding and the reason takes place." -- Immanuel Kant, 1785

@ 2021-10-25  8:23     ` João Távora
From: João Távora @ 2021-10-25  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf Adamkovič; +Cc: Stefan Kangas, emacs-devel