* Re: master 5ee3c37: Make sure that all gnus buffers are killed on exit
       [not found] ` <20200128154820.7AEB620997@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2020-01-29 18:35   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-01-29 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Sam Steingold

sds@gnu.org (Sam Steingold) writes:

>     Make sure that all gnus buffers are killed on exit

This introduces a bunch of compilation warnings:

In end of data:
gnus/smime.el:694:1: Warning: the function ‘gnus-get-buffer-create’ is not
    known to be defined.
  ELC      gnus/spam-report.elc
  ELC      gnus/spam-stat.elc

It also sounds somewhat odd for a library like smime.el to be calling
Gnus functions (and the same goes for the other calls in packages like
mail-source.el).

And why should buffers created by those packages be killed when you hit
`q' in Gnus?  This sounds like very surprising behaviour.

* Re: master 5ee3c37: Make sure that all gnus buffers are killed on exit
@ 2020-01-29 20:51     ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2020-01-29 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> * Lars Ingebrigtsen <ynefv@tahf.bet> [2020-01-29 19:35:56 +0100]:
>
> sds@gnu.org (Sam Steingold) writes:
>
>>     Make sure that all gnus buffers are killed on exit
>
> This introduces a bunch of compilation warnings:
>
> In end of data:
> gnus/smime.el:694:1: Warning: the function ‘gnus-get-buffer-create’ is not
>     known to be defined.
>   ELC      gnus/spam-report.elc
>   ELC      gnus/spam-stat.elc
>
> It also sounds somewhat odd for a library like smime.el to be calling
> Gnus functions (and the same goes for the other calls in packages like
> mail-source.el).

Are these packages actually used outside of gnus?
Are the buffers in question intended to be seen by users?

> And why should buffers created by those packages be killed when you hit
> `q' in Gnus?  This sounds like very surprising behaviour.

I found many buffers created by gnus lying around after I exit, and it
seemed like all the files in the gnus directory were only used by gnus.

Thanks.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1671
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com

* Re: master 5ee3c37: Make sure that all gnus buffers are killed on exit
@ 2020-01-30 18:36     ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2020-01-30 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> * Lars Ingebrigtsen <ynefv@tahf.bet> [2020-01-29 19:35:56 +0100]:
>
> sds@gnu.org (Sam Steingold) writes:
>
>>     Make sure that all gnus buffers are killed on exit
>
> This introduces a bunch of compilation warnings:
>
> In end of data:
> gnus/smime.el:694:1: Warning: the function ‘gnus-get-buffer-create’ is not
>     known to be defined.

I fixed that, thanks.

> And why should buffers created by those packages be killed when you
> hit `q' in Gnus?  This sounds like very surprising behaviour.

I also reduced the scope of the patch.
Thanks.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1671
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com
https://ffii.org https://mideasttruth.com https://honestreporting.com
Good programmers treat Microsoft products as damage and route around it.