* package descriptive text and lm-commentary
@ 2013-08-04 11:17 Willem Rein Oudshoorn
From: Willem Rein Oudshoorn @ 2013-08-04 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Yesterday I created my first package, a single .el file.
Today I noticed that the description of the package, as shown in emacs
and on marmalade, lookes like:

   ;;; Commentary:

   ;; Text bla etce...

Including the ;;'s.  Other packages do not have the ;; prefixed.
It seems that this is caused by lm-commentary returning the whole
commentary section and not stripping of the ';;'.

Is this expected behaviour of

1 - lm-commentary
2 - Single file package descriptions?

And how can I fix this?  I assume by making it into a tar.gz package?

Kind regards,
Wim Oudshoorn.

P.S.: If any one interested, it is the package sparkline.el on
marmalade.

* Re: package descriptive text and lm-commentary
@ 2013-08-04 17:47 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-08-04 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willem Rein Oudshoorn; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Yesterday I created my first package, a single .el file.
> Today I noticed that the description of the package, as shown in emacs
> and on marmalade, lookes like:

>    ;;; Commentary:

>    ;; Text bla etce...

Not sure what you mean.  http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/sparkline
shows it without the ";;".

> 1 - lm-commentary

lm-commentary is expected to return the text in all its ";;" glory, yes.

* Re: package descriptive text and lm-commentary
@ 2013-08-04 20:17   ` Willem Rein Oudshoorn
From: Willem Rein Oudshoorn @ 2013-08-04 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> Yesterday I created my first package, a single .el file.
>> Today I noticed that the description of the package, as shown in emacs
>> and on marmalade, lookes like:
>
>>    ;;; Commentary:
>
>>    ;; Text bla etce...
>
> Not sure what you mean.  http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/sparkline
> shows it without the ";;".

Hm, yes you are right.  I got confused with the few different places
I saw the package description.  So I checked again.

1 - On the web page of marmalade it is ok
2 - In emacs, the description with list-packages and showing the details
    has the ';;'
3 - If I use `package-upload-buffer' it will create a
    sparkline-readme.txt also containing the ';;'.

It does not really matter but it bugs me.
Just for my information, I assume it is supposed to show without the
';;' for single file emacs packages right?

>> 1 - lm-commentary
>
> lm-commentary is expected to return the text in all its ";;" glory, yes.

Ah, that is good to know.

Well, if it keeps bugging me, I will try to figure out what goes wrong.

Also, I appreciate the time you took to check out the description.

Wim Oudshoorn.

* Re: package descriptive text and lm-commentary
@ 2013-08-04 20:28     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-08-04 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willem Rein Oudshoorn; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> Not sure what you mean.  http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/sparkline
>> shows it without the ";;".

> Hm, yes you are right.  I got confused with the few different places
> I saw the package description.  So I checked again.

> 1 - On the web page of marmalade it is ok
> 2 - In emacs, the description with list-packages and showing the details
>     has the ';;'

That indicates that the sparkline-readme.txt on marmalade has the ;;
That seems like a problem in the scripts used to built
the package on Marmalade.

> 3 - If I use `package-upload-buffer' it will create a
>     sparkline-readme.txt also containing the ';;'.

Maybe that's the source of the problem, assuming Marmalade uses
package-upload-buffer.

At least the sparkline.el buffer looks fine in this respect, so if
there's a problem it should be one that affects most/all
single-file packages.

* Re: package descriptive text and lm-commentary
@ 2013-08-04 20:31       ` Willem Rein Oudshoorn
From: Willem Rein Oudshoorn @ 2013-08-04 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> 3 - If I use `package-upload-buffer' it will create a
>>     sparkline-readme.txt also containing the ';;'.
>
> Maybe that's the source of the problem, assuming Marmalade uses
> package-upload-buffer.
>
> At least the sparkline.el buffer looks fine in this respect, so if
> there's a problem it should be one that affects most/all
> single-file packages.

Thank you for the confirmation.  I hoop to look into this tomorrow.

Wim Oudshoorn