* Problems building master on macOS
@ 2017-06-20  2:27 Chad Brown
From: Chad Brown @ 2017-06-20  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

HEAD has been broken for me for a few days, failing to configure with:

	config.status: error: cannot find input file: `src/emacs-module.h.in’

I’m not sure when this started; I noticed recently that the configure machinery had changed, had some free time, and decided to do a distclean and bootstrap. ./autogen.sh asked me to rerun ./autogen.sh git, which was fine, but configure failed near the end, unable to find the above file. I then tried again with —without-modules, to no avail.

A little digging suggests that this commit is related:

commit c66a7cce17ac4b9cde6bf49232aaa59c1c73404e
Author: Philipp Stephani <phst@google.com>
Date:   Sat Jun 17 19:12:45 2017 +0200

    emacs-module.h: Create emacs_env_26

    This was part of the original design of the module
    API (https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-02/msg00960.html),
    but I didn't take it into account when adding the should_quit
    function.

    Instead of duplicating the environment fields or using the C
    preprocessor, use configure to build emacs-module.h.

    * configure.ac: Expand emacs-module.h template.

Digging into that commit suggests that the file was intentionally removed from autoconf control, but I’m not familiar enough with AC to be able to extricate it myself reasonably; I was able to hack it out enough to get emacs to build. I suspect that the problem won’t come up until without a bootstrap or deeper clean.

Hope that helps,
~Chad

* Re: Problems building master on macOS
@ 2017-06-20  2:47 ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 2017-06-20  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chad Brown; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Jun 19, 2017, at 22:27, Chad Brown <yandros@gmail.com> wrote:

> HEAD has been broken for me for a few days, failing to configure with:
>
> 	config.status: error: cannot find input file: `src/emacs-module.h.in’
>
> I’m not sure when this started; I noticed recently that the configure machinery had changed, had some free time, and decided to do a distclean and bootstrap. ./autogen.sh asked me to rerun ./autogen.sh git, which was fine, but configure failed near the end, unable to find the above file. I then tried again with —without-modules, to no avail.
>
> A little digging suggests that this commit is related:
>
> commit c66a7cce17ac4b9cde6bf49232aaa59c1c73404e
> Author: Philipp Stephani <phst@google.com <mailto:phst@google.com>>
> Date:   Sat Jun 17 19:12:45 2017 +0200

That’s the commit that added emacs-module.h.in, in place of emacs-module.h.

I just tried building from a clean tree on macOS and it seems okay. It sounds like there’s something amiss in your checked-out tree.  Try “git clean -fdx” and “git reset --hard” (or a fresh checkout in a new tree) and see if that fixes it…

Ken

* Re: Problems building master on macOS
@ 2017-06-20 18:57 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2017-06-20 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chad Brown, emacs-devel

On 06/19/2017 07:27 PM, Chad Brown wrote:
> HEAD has been broken for me for a few days, failing to configure with:
>
> config.status: error: cannot find input file: `src/emacs-module.h.in’

Possibly you ran into the bug where 'make clean' mistakenly removed
src/emacs-module.h.in. I fixed that in commit
1b75af59b305867c89271905be72a05d06a4eff4. Try getting the latest master
and make sure 'git diff' reports no differences.

* Re: Problems building master on macOS
@ 2017-06-21  6:42   ` Chad Brown
From: Chad Brown @ 2017-06-21  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: emacs-devel

> On 20Jun, 2017, at 11:57, Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
>
> On 06/19/2017 07:27 PM, Chad Brown wrote:
>> HEAD has been broken for me for a few days, failing to configure with:
>>
>> config.status: error: cannot find input file: `src/emacs-module.h.in’
>
> Possibly you ran into the bug where 'make clean' mistakenly removed src/emacs-module.h.in. I fixed that in commit 1b75af59b305867c89271905be72a05d06a4eff4. Try getting the latest master and make sure 'git diff' reports no differences.

This was it exactly. Thanks to you and Ken both.

~Chad

* Problems building master on macOS
@ 2021-07-22 20:17 Perry E. Metzger
From: Perry E. Metzger @ 2021-07-22 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Howdy! I hadn't built master on macOS in a while, and I got this error:

checking for AppKit/AppKit.h... no
configure: error: The include files (AppKit/AppKit.h etc) that
are required for a Nextstep build are missing or cannot be compiled.
Either fix this, or re-configure with the option '--without-ns'.

Any idea what's going wrong? I presume it's an easy fix?

Perry

* Re: Problems building master on macOS
@ 2021-07-22 20:49 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-07-22 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry E. Metzger; +Cc: emacs-devel

"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:

> Howdy! I hadn't built master on macOS in a while, and I got this error:
>
> checking for AppKit/AppKit.h... no
> configure: error: The include files (AppKit/AppKit.h etc) that
> are required for a Nextstep build are missing or cannot be compiled.
> Either fix this, or re-configure with the option '--without-ns'.

Compilation works fine for me on Macos.  Have you tried a "make
bootstrap"?

* Re: Problems building master on macOS
@ 2021-07-22 21:04   ` Perry E. Metzger
From: Perry E. Metzger @ 2021-07-22 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 7/22/21 16:49, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:
>> Howdy! I hadn't built master on macOS in a while, and I got this error:
>>
>> checking for AppKit/AppKit.h... no
>> configure: error: The include files (AppKit/AppKit.h etc) that
>> are required for a Nextstep build are missing or cannot be compiled.
>> Either fix this, or re-configure with the option '--without-ns'.
> Compilation works fine for me on Macos.  Have you tried a "make
> bootstrap"?

"make bootstrap" comes after configure. This is during configure, which
happens right after autogen.

My build environment is 100% clean; git status says there are no stray
files.

Perry

* Re: Problems building master on macOS
@ 2021-07-22 22:06     ` Daniel Martín
From: Daniel Martín @ 2021-07-22 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry E. Metzger; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, emacs-devel

"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:

> "make bootstrap" comes after configure. This is during configure,
> which happens right after autogen.
>

> My build environment is 100% clean; git status says there are no stray
> files.

Take a look at config.log in the Emacs source directory.  It should give
some hints about why Autoconf cannot find the AppKit.h header in your
system.