* Knuth and Plass line breaking algorithm
@ 2021-12-11 15:38 Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)
From: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria) @ 2021-12-11 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'm reading the ongoing thread on variable pitch text filling and
I did not see a mention to the Knuth and Plass line breaking
algorithm (the one used in TeX). Maybe I missed it but I wanted to
be sure it has been considered (I'm making a separate post to not
break the vraible pitch thread).

Original article:
http://www.eprg.org/G53DOC/pdfs/knuth-plass-breaking.pdf

Emacs implementation:
https://github.com/Fuco1/justify-kp (from 2014, I did not manage
to run it)

Javascrip implementation:
https://github.com/bramstein/typeset

Nicolas

* Re: Knuth and Plass line breaking algorithm
@ 2021-12-12  5:04 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-12-12  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria); +Cc: emacs-devel

"Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)" <nicolas.rougier@inria.fr> writes:

> I'm reading the ongoing thread on variable pitch text filling and I
> did not see a mention to the Knuth and Plass line breaking algorithm
> (the one used in TeX). Maybe I missed it but I wanted to be sure it
> has been considered (I'm making a separate post to not break the
> vraible pitch thread). Original article:
> http://www.eprg.org/G53DOC/pdfs/knuth-plass-breaking.pdf

I think our goals are rather more modest than implementing all
typographic niceties, especially since that usually entails getting
hyphenation right (which is a major problem and I don't think there's
anything that really does that correctly automatically).

* Re: Knuth and Plass line breaking algorithm
@ 2021-12-12  5:23   ` Alexandre Garreau
From: Alexandre Garreau @ 2021-12-12  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Le dimanĉo, 12-a de decembro 2021, 6-a horo kaj 4:18 CET Lars Ingebrigtsen
a écrit :
> "Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)" <nicolas.rougier@inria.fr> writes:
>

> > I'm reading the ongoing thread on variable pitch text filling and I
> > did not see a mention to the Knuth and Plass line breaking algorithm
> > (the one used in TeX). Maybe I missed it but I wanted to be sure it
> > has been considered (I'm making a separate post to not break the
> > vraible pitch thread). Original article:
> > http://www.eprg.org/G53DOC/pdfs/knuth-plass-breaking.pdf
>
> I think our goals are rather more modest than implementing all
> typographic niceties, especially since that usually entails getting
> hyphenation right (which is a major problem and I don't think there's
> anything that really does that correctly automatically).

doing at least the same as TeX might be doable.

* Re: Knuth and Plass line breaking algorithm
@ 2021-12-12  7:18   ` Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)
From: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria) @ 2021-12-12  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

Ok, fair enough.