* why is "q" bound to `delete-window' instead of `quit-window' in epa-info-mode?
@ 2021-12-24  0:27 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2021-12-24  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Michael Olson

Hi,

Since the initial commit of EasyPG into Emacs (2008-02-08), "q" has been
bound to `delete-window' instead of `quit-window' in `epa-info-mode-map'.

Why?
Would it be okay to switch to `quit-window'?

Thanks.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Pop 21.10 (impish) X 11.0.12013000
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com

* Re: why is "q" bound to `delete-window' instead of `quit-window' in epa-info-mode?
@ 2021-12-24  2:15 ` LdBeth
From: LdBeth @ 2021-12-24  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sds; +Cc: Michael Olson, emacs-devel

It is probably for security reasons, epa-info-mode is for displaying
decrypted texts, so basically one shouldn't leak that info to the
others by quit-window and leave the buffer containing sensitively
information to the others. Although I understand that it might be
unnecessary to those have sole access to their computer, and neither
delete-window is safe proof to more advance attacks.

--
LDB

@ 2021-12-24 17:06   ` Steingold
From: Steingold @ 2021-12-24 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> * LdBeth <naqchxr@sbkznvy.pbz> [2021-12-24 10:15:02 +0800]:
>
> It is probably for security reasons, epa-info-mode is for displaying
> decrypted texts, so basically one shouldn't leak that info to the
> others by quit-window and leave the buffer containing sensitively
> information to the others. Although I understand that it might be
> unnecessary to those have sole access to their computer, and neither
> delete-window is safe proof to more advance attacks.

Thank you.
In that case, wouldn't `delete-buffer' be a better choice?
(`delete-window' makes the buffer re-appear after the next
`split-window', which is inconvenient)

> Sam> Hi,
>
> Sam> Since the initial commit of EasyPG into Emacs (2008-02-08), "q" has been
> Sam> bound to `delete-window' instead of `quit-window' in `epa-info-mode-map'.
>
> Sam> Why?
> Sam> Would it be okay to switch to `quit-window'?

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.2022
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com

* Re: why is "q" bound to `delete-window' instead of `quit-window' in epa-info-mode?
@ 2021-12-24 17:13 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-12-24 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Steingold; +Cc: emacs-devel, Michael Olson

> Since the initial commit of EasyPG into Emacs (2008-02-08), "q" has been
> bound to `delete-window' instead of `quit-window' in `epa-info-mode-map'.
> Why?

AFAIK historically there has been very little standardization in this
respect until a decade ago or so, so I tend to assume that all bindings
of `q` to something vaguely similar to `quit-window` re just leftovers
from that era and should be replaced by either a binding to
`quit-window` or inheritance from `special-mode`.

* Re: why is "q" bound to `delete-window' instead of `quit-window' in epa-info-mode?
@ 2021-12-24 19:09   ` Steingold
From: Steingold @ 2021-12-24 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> * Stefan Monnier <zbaavre@veb.hzbagerny.pn> [2021-12-24 12:13:36 -0500]:
>
>> Since the initial commit of EasyPG into Emacs (2008-02-08), "q" has been
>> bound to `delete-window' instead of `quit-window' in `epa-info-mode-map'.
>> Why?
>
> AFAIK historically there has been very little standardization in this
> respect until a decade ago or so, so I tend to assume that all bindings
> of `q` to something vaguely similar to `quit-window` re just leftovers
> from that era and should be replaced by either a binding to
> `quit-window` or inheritance from `special-mode`.

I agree in general, but not in this particular case, where the code
clearly indicates that the author was fully aware of `quit-window' and
went to a huge effort of adding 6 lines of code(!) to change that to
`delete-window'.

This is why I did not just silently delete those lines and instead asked
here.  Sorry about not making that clear right away.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.2022
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com
https://jij.org https://iris.org.il http://think-israel.org https://ij.org/
To be popular with ladies one has to be smart, handsome & rich. Or to be a cat.