* general "toggle" command?  general "toggle" prefix?
@ 2022-09-13  4:07 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2022-09-13  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

There are many kinds of settings in Emacs, and for quite a few
we have implemented or considered commands to toggle
between recent settings.

Might it be useful to have a prefix for toggling a setting?
Might it be possible to write a general command that can toggle
various kinds of settings?

* Re: general "toggle" command?  general "toggle" prefix?
@ 2022-09-13 14:32 ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-09-13 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 800 bytes --]

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

I've used hydra to achieve this for options I toggle often, it's also
one of the examples in the hydra wiki --

> There are many kinds of settings in Emacs, and for quite a few
> we have implemented or considered commands to toggle
> between recent settings.
>
> Might it be useful to have a prefix for toggling a setting?
> Might it be possible to write a general command that can toggle
> various kinds of settings?

7©4 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  •0Ü8

* RE: [External] : general "toggle" command?  general "toggle" prefix?
@ 2022-09-13 14:52 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2022-09-13 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org

> There are many kinds of settings in Emacs, and for quite a few
> we have implemented or considered commands to toggle
> between recent settings.
>
> Might it be useful to have a prefix for toggling a setting?
> Might it be possible to write a general command that can
> toggle various kinds of settings?

I have a command for toggling a variable value,
`icicle-toggle-option', which is bound to
`M-i M-i' during completion in Icicle minor mode.

 Toggle option's value.

 This makes sense for binary (toggle) options.
 By default, completion candidates are limited to
 user options that have `boolean' custom types.
 However, there are many "binary" options
 that allow other non-nil values than t.

 You can use a prefix argument to change the set
 of completion candidates, as follows:

  - With a non-negative prefix arg, all user
    options are candidates.
  - With a negative prefix arg, all variables
    are candidates.

(More generally, during completion prefix key
`M-i' is bound to `icicle-toggle-map', which
has lots of toggle keys.)

* Re: general "toggle" command?  general "toggle" prefix?
@ 2022-09-13 20:13   ` Howard Melman
From: Howard Melman @ 2022-09-13 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel