* improving the gnugol web search tool's emacs integration
@ 2014-01-31 18:22 Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2014-01-31 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Ages ago I wrote a tool for using various search engines, called
gnugol, which uses the json apis published by various web sites
(google, bing, stackoverflow) to obtain a search result, and
outputs the result in a variety of formats, notably org-mode.

It's at:

https://github.com/dtaht/Gnugol

it is agplv3 licensed, and uses the libjanson json library.

I would rather like to improve the emacs integration support, notably
being able to log the search history instead of losing it in a buffer.

... but my emacs-foo is very limited. What I have working is at:

https://raw.github.com/dtaht/Gnugol/master/src/lisp/gnugol.el

there are numerous other fixmes in the code. At some point I'd
like to have something good enough to put in elpa, but lacking foo...

anyone ever tried gnugol? got some spare foo?

--
Dave Täht

* Re: improving the gnugol web search tool's emacs integration
@ 2014-01-31 18:57 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-31 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Taht; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hey Dave,

Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com> writes:

> anyone ever tried gnugol?

I did when it first came out!  But I can't make it work anymore.
I installed it from sources (with jansson 1.3, as per instructions)
and also tried the gnugol-git Archlinux package, but I always get
this error:

engine google not supported
default engine not found!  Panic!

> got some spare foo?

Not much -- but I like Gnugol when I first saw it, would love to
test it again.  Thanks for further directions!

--
 Bastien

* Re: improving the gnugol web search tool's emacs integration
@ 2014-01-31 19:17   ` Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2014-01-31 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hey Dave,
>
> Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> anyone ever tried gnugol?
>
> I did when it first came out!  But I can't make it work anymore.
> I installed it from sources (with jansson 1.3, as per instructions)
> and also tried the gnugol-git Archlinux package, but I always get
> this error:
>
> engine google not supported
> default engine not found!  Panic!

try pulling from the git repo and compiling with libjannson 2?

https://github.com/dtaht/Gnugol

I just got it working again a few days ago. I saw that the patch in
arch was a bit wrong... (and you do need to do a make install to find
the engines), and I updated to the later jannson lib long ago.

So hopefully we can fix the arch repo, too. But would still like to
have much tighter integration with org and emacs than it's got...

good to hear from you. I am re-entering emacs after too long away, as
I have a ton of rfc writing to do, and trying to make org-mode do more for
me than it already does (blogging, etc)

just read your excellent article and *.el files on that.

>> got some spare foo?
>
> Not much -- but I like Gnugol when I first saw it, would love to
> test it again.  Thanks for further directions!

Thanks for giving it another shot. I find it so handy to just hit <f6> and
answer a question... (wish it did stuff at point, too... sigh)

--

@ 2014-02-03  8:47     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-02-03  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Taht; +Cc: emacs-devel

Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com> writes:

> try pulling from the git repo and compiling with libjannson 2?

no luck, it still says

engine google not supported
default engine not found!  Panic!

when I do ~$ gnugol -e google "test"

... tried to read docs on your server http://gnugol.taht.net but
it seems down at the moment ?

Anyway, hope you can make it easy to install!

--
 Bastien

* Re: improving the gnugol web search tool's emacs integration
@ 2014-07-22 14:25 ` John Sturdy
From: John Sturdy @ 2014-07-22 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dave Taht <dave.taht <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Ages ago I wrote a tool for using various search engines, called
> gnugol, which uses the json apis published by various web sites
> (google, bing, stackoverflow) to obtain a search result, and
> outputs the result in a variety of formats, notably org-mode.
>
> It's at:
>
> https://github.com/dtaht/Gnugol
>
> it is agplv3 licensed, and uses the libjanson json library.
>
> I would rather like to improve the emacs integration support, notably
> being able to log the search history instead of losing it in a buffer.
>
> ... but my emacs-foo is very limited. What I have working is at:
>
> https://raw.github.com/dtaht/Gnugol/master/src/lisp/gnugol.el
>
> there are numerous other fixmes in the code. At some point I'd
> like to have something good enough to put in elpa, but lacking foo...
>
> anyone ever tried gnugol? got some spare foo?

Dave, I've tried gnugol, and like it, and so I added some more elisp (I
think I mailed it to you at the time, and didn't hear back).

You can fetch it from
https://github.com/hillwithsmallfields/JCGS-emacs/blob/master/webstuff/gnugol.el

It adds a major mode (derived from org-mode) with its own key-bindings.

__John