* A proposal on Kickstarter for an embeddable Emacs
@ 2012-05-17  5:35 Tom
From: Tom @ 2012-05-17  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

This project is not aiming to improve Emacs itself, but it's
worth to keep an eye on nevertheless, because as far as I know it is
the first crowdfunded project which has something to do with Emacs
(or at least with its concepts), so it will be interesting see how it
runs out:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/568774734/emacsy-an-embeddable-emacs?ref=live

* Re: A proposal on Kickstarter for an embeddable Emacs
@ 2012-06-16  6:18 ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2012-06-16  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Tom <adatgyujto <at> gmail.com> writes:

> This project is not aiming to improve Emacs itself, but it's
> worth to keep an eye on nevertheless, because as far as I know it is
> the first crowdfunded project which has something to do with Emacs
> (or at least with its concepts), so it will be interesting see how it
> runs out:
>
> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/568774734/emacsy-an-embeddable-emacs?ref=live

Apparently, this project failed to raise its funding, but it's not
entirely suprising, because the number of people who want to embed
an emacs-like interface into their program is probably not very
high.

The number of Emacs users is certainly much higher, so a fundraising for
an actual Emacs feature would have more chance to succeed.

Several people added ideas to the EmacsWiki crowdfunding page,
so developers who consider working in this model should take a look:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/IdeasForCrowdFunding

* Re: A proposal on Kickstarter for an embeddable Emacs
@ 2012-06-16 10:13   ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2012-06-16 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Am 16.06.2012 08:18, schrieb Tom:
> Tom<adatgyujto<at>  gmail.com>  writes:
>

>> This project is not aiming to improve Emacs itself, but it's
>> worth to keep an eye on nevertheless, because as far as I know it is
>> the first crowdfunded project which has something to do with Emacs
>> (or at least with its concepts), so it will be interesting see how it
>> runs out:
>>
>> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/568774734/emacsy-an-embeddable-emacs?ref=live
>>

> Apparently, this project failed to raise its funding, but it's not
> entirely suprising, because the number of people who want to embed
> an emacs-like interface into their program is probably not very
> high.

providing some code at your

https://github.com/secelis/emacsy.git

might have been helpful ;)

@ 2012-06-16 16:59     ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2012-06-16 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler <at> online.de> writes:

> > Apparently, this project failed to raise its funding, but it's not
> > entirely suprising, because the number of people who want to embed
> > an emacs-like interface into their program is probably not very
> > high.
> >

> providing some code at your
>
> https://github.com/secelis/emacsy.git
>
> might have been helpful ;)

You are mistaken. I'm not the developer. I did not even fund
this project.

Its only interesting aspect is that it's a somewhat emacs-related
project with crowdfunding. What really would be a interesting
is implementing an actual emacs feature with crowdfunding.

So my aim is to keep this idea alive in case somebody comes along
who is interested in it. I don't doubt there are lots of users
who'd be willing to shell out some money to see some great new
feature implemented without waiting years (or forever) for it to
happen.