* MAC OS X Bar Cursor Width Question
@ 2011-02-12  9:22 Ben Key
From: Ben Key @ 2011-02-12  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-devel

Hello,

I have a question about the bar cursor in Emacs on MAC OS X.  The first
thing I noticed when I configured Emacs to use the bar cursor on MAC OS X
was that the cursor seemed to be narrower that I expected, despite the fact
that when I configured Emacs to use the bar cursor I specified the width of
the cursor to be four pixels wide using the (bar . WIDTH) syntax.

While debugging this problem I found a couple of FIXME comments in
ns_draw_window_cursor along with the following line of code
    s.size.width = min (cursor_width, 2); //FIXME(see above)

The comments basically say that the cursor_width parameter is being ignored
because set_frame_cursor_types does not always initialize it.  When
investigating this further, I discovered that it is true that
set_frame_cursor_types does not always initialize the width (it is actually
get_specified_cursor_type that fails to initialize the width).

Note that as far as I can tell, when the (bar . WIDTH) syntax is used, the
cursor_width parameter is always initialized correctly.

My question is would it not be better to fix get_specified_cursor_type so
that the width is always initialized and then modify ns_draw_window_cursor
to honor the user specified cursor width than to always ignore the user's
desired cursor width?  This could be easily done by adding the line
    *width = 2;
near the top of get_specified_cursor_type.

Then the line in ns_draw_window_cursor could be changed to the following,
causing the user's selection when they use the (bar . WIDTH) syntax to be
honored.
    s.size.width = cursor_width;
Or, as an alternative, the line could be changed to the following:
      s.size.width = min (cursor_width, w->phys_cursor_width); //FIXME(see
above)

Would not this be a better thing to do?

I would appreciate any feedback you might have to offer on this question.

* Re: MAC OS X Bar Cursor Width Question
@ 2011-02-12 14:56 ` Adrian Robert
From: Adrian Robert @ 2011-02-12 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Ben Key <bkey76 <at> gmail.com> writes:

>  s.size.width = min (cursor_width, w->phys_cursor_width); //FIXME(see above)
> Would not this be a better thing to do?
> I would appreciate any feedback you might have to offer on this question.

This sounds reasonable to me.  If it works for you, please post a patch.

thanks,
Adrian