* Force-push branch on elpa?
@ 2022-07-25 19:51 Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2022-07-25 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Sorry if I already asked it (I vaguely remember doing so), but:

Is it ok to force-push an externals/* branch on elpa?  Wouldn't it
break some elpa mechanics?

I pushed a commit with empty message by error, and would like to fix it.

Thanks,
Filipp.

* Re: Force-push branch on elpa?
@ 2022-07-26 10:33 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-07-26 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filipp Gunbin; +Cc: emacs-devel

Filipp Gunbin <fgunbin@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Sorry if I already asked it (I vaguely remember doing so), but:
>
> Is it ok to force-push an externals/* branch on elpa?  Wouldn't it
> break some elpa mechanics?

I think force-pushing is disallowed on the server for that reason.

* Re: Force-push branch on elpa?
@ 2022-07-26 14:40   ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2022-07-26 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 26/07/2022 12:33 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Filipp Gunbin <fgunbin@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
>> Sorry if I already asked it (I vaguely remember doing so), but:
>>
>> Is it ok to force-push an externals/* branch on elpa?  Wouldn't it
>> break some elpa mechanics?
>
> I think force-pushing is disallowed on the server for that reason.

Too bad.
Thanks!

* Re: Force-push branch on elpa?
@ 2022-07-26 21:05 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-07-26 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Is it ok to force-push an externals/* branch on elpa?

No (unless you have a *really* good reason).

> Wouldn't it break some elpa mechanics?

Yes, it'll break various things, which I'll have to track down and fix manually.
Same for other people tracking those branches.

> I pushed a commit with empty message by error, and would like to fix it.

Don't, please.  We have better things to do in life than to worry about
such cosmetic issues.