* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 14bb519: * lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el: New "external" package status
       [not found] ` <E1YqNUr-0001A9-UH@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2015-05-07 18:17   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-05-07 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Artur Malabarba

>     An external package is any installed package that's not built-in
>     and not from `package-user-dir', which usually means it's from an
>     entry in `package-directory-list'.  They are treated much like
>     built-in packages, in that they cannot be through the Package Menu
>     deleted and are not considered for upgrades.

Good, thanks.  I'd call them "system packages", tho.  And we should
allow the user to install another version on top of it.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 14bb519: * lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el: New "external" package status
@ 2015-05-07 18:47     ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-05-07 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>     An external package is any installed package that's not built-in
>>     and not from `package-user-dir', which usually means it's from an
>>     entry in `package-directory-list'.  They are treated much like
>>     built-in packages, in that they cannot be through the Package Menu
>>     deleted and are not considered for upgrades.
>
> Good, thanks.  I'd call them "system packages", tho.

I didn't call them "system" because they might just have been
installed by the user. I can change that if preferred, but that brings
me to another topic.

The docstring of `package-directory-list' says it is intended for
system-wide packages. But it seems to me that it would work perfectly
fine for the user's manually installed packages (in fact, that's what
I'm doing here).
This way, if I want to manually download a package to a directory
that's NOT inside ~/.emacs.d/elpa, I can still have package.el
recognize its presence for the purpose of dependencies and such by
adding the directory to `package-directory-list'.

All the functionality already exists, I'm just wondering if I can
document that on the docstring or if there's a reason why this
variable is specifically meant for system packages.

> And we should allow the user to install another version on top of it.

I think we already do. If a more recent version is available from the
archives it is still shown in the menu. It just won't be automatically
marked for installation with the `U' key.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 14bb519: * lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el: New "external" package status
@ 2015-05-07 19:12       ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2015-05-07 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Artur Malabarba; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Hello, Artur.

On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 07:47:29PM +0100, Artur Malabarba wrote:
> >>     An external package is any installed package that's not built-in
> >>     and not from `package-user-dir', which usually means it's from an
> >>     entry in `package-directory-list'.  They are treated much like
> >>     built-in packages, in that they cannot be through the Package Menu
> >>     deleted and are not considered for upgrades.

The word order "they cannot be through the Package Menu deleted" is
wrong in English (it would be correct in German ;-).  The correct word
order is "they cannot be deleted through the Package menu".  I don't
think there's any reason to capitalise "menu" either, though I can see
"Package" might want to be capitalised.

Please consider amending your patch to the documentation.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 14bb519: * lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el: New "external" package status
@ 2015-05-07 19:30         ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-05-07 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

> The word order "they cannot be through the Package Menu deleted" is
> wrong in English (it would be correct in German ;-).  The correct word
> order is "they cannot be deleted through the Package menu".  I don't
> think there's any reason to capitalise "menu" either, though I can see
> "Package" might want to be capitalised.
>
> Please consider amending your patch to the documentation.

Oops. I wish I could use German as an excuse, but it was really a typo. :-(

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 14bb519: * lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el: New "external" package status
@ 2015-05-08  3:32       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-05-08  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Artur Malabarba; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I didn't call them "system" because they might just have been
> installed by the user. I can change that if preferred, but that brings

I don't have a strong opinion on that.

> The docstring of `package-directory-list' says it is intended for
> system-wide packages.  But it seems to me that it would work perfectly
> fine for the user's manually installed packages (in fact, that's what
> I'm doing here).

I put the elpa/packages directory in there too (and elpa/README
suggests doing so as well).

But I tend to think of this case as "installed by my sysadmin-half".

>> And we should allow the user to install another version on top of it.
> I think we already do.  If a more recent version is available from the
> archives it is still shown in the menu.  It just won't be automatically
> marked for installation with the `U' key.

Are, perfect then, thanks,