* cpio-mode: new version
@ 2018-05-19  5:35 Douglas Lewan
From: Douglas Lewan @ 2018-05-19  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

All,

A new version of cpio-mode has been published at
https://github.com/dlewan/cpio-mode.

This one includes support for archives in the crc format.

--
,Doug
Douglas Lewan

* Re: cpio-mode: new version
@ 2018-05-21 11:20 ` Jostein Kjønigsen
From: Jostein Kjønigsen @ 2018-05-21 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

This looks interesting.

So sorry if this is a stupid question with an obviouos answer, and I'm
wasting everyone's time...
But I can't seem to find this package ready for use in core Emacs, ELPA
nor MELPA.
Apart from the source which is hosted by Github, how and where is this
package distributed?
Was this email just a "FYI here's my package" notification to other
Emacs users/developers? Or was this post a request for inclusion in
Emacs or ELPA?
Sorry again, if there's some obvious contexts I'm missing.

--
Kind regards
Jostein Kjønigsen

jostein@kjonigsen.net 🍵 jostein@gmail.com
https://jostein.kjonigsen.net

On Sat, May 19, 2018, at 7:35 AM, Douglas Lewan wrote:
> All,
> A new version of cpio-mode has been published at
> https://github.com/dlewan/cpio-mode.>
> This one includes support for archives in the crc format.
>
> --
> ,Doug
> Douglas Lewan
> (908) 720-7908
> Member of the PKRA.

* Re: cpio-mode: new version
@ 2018-05-21 15:49 Douglas Lewan
From: Douglas Lewan @ 2018-05-21 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Jostein,

Thanks for the questions.

> But I can't seem to find this package ready for use in core Emacs, ELPA
nor MELPA.

The only place I've published the source so far is on github. It's still in
development and still has bugs; publishing it on ELPA or MELPA seems
premature to me.

If you want to try it, load cpio.el and in a cpio [newc or crc] archive run
M-x cpio-mode. That should present a dired-like interface to work with.

> Apart from the source which is hosted by Github, how and where is this
package distributed?

And, no, it's not packaged properly for use in core emacs yet, for the same
reasons. I'll do that when I think it's stable.

> Was this email just a "FYI here's my package" notification to other Emacs
users/developers? Or was this post a request for inclusion in Emacs or ELPA?

I want to submit this as a part of core emacs and was told to publish it on
this mailing list but with no details. If I'm doing something wrong, please
let me know.

--
,Doug
Douglas Lewan

* Re: cpio-mode: new version
@ 2018-05-21 16:01   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-05-21 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Was this email just a "FYI here's my package" notification to other
> Emacs users/developers? Or was this post a request for inclusion in
> Emacs or ELPA?

We could add it to GNU ELPA, assuming Douglas is willing to sign the
corresponding paperwork.

IIRC he showed interest in doing that, but when he did the discussion
was diverted to the topic of archive support in Tramp via gvfs.

* Re: cpio-mode: new version
@ 2018-05-21 21:59 Douglas Lewan
From: Douglas Lewan @ 2018-05-21 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Was this email just a "FYI here's my package" notification to other
>> Emacs users/developers? Or was this post a request for inclusion in
>> Emacs or ELPA?
>
> We could add it to GNU ELPA, assuming Douglas is willing to sign the
> corresponding paperwork.

I'm absolutely willing to sign the corresponding paperwork.
However, as I said in my mail responding to Jostein,
I don't think it's anywhere near feature-complete or bug-free and
I'd rather get it to a stable point before giving it to a broader audience.

> IIRC he showed interest in doing that, but when he did the discussion
> was diverted to the topic of archive support in Tramp via gvfs.

Yeah, it's funny how the big problem with free software is that there are
often
too many choices.
Well, that's the nature of the beast.

--
,Doug
Douglas Lewan

* Re: cpio-mode: new version
@ 2018-05-23 14:21 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-05-23 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I'm absolutely willing to sign the corresponding paperwork.
> However, as I said in my mail responding to Jostein,
> I don't think it's anywhere near feature-complete or bug-free and
> I'd rather get it to a stable point before giving it to a broader audience.

[ I don't think any Elisp package out there is bug free or feature
  complete either, FWIW.  ]

We could add your package to elpa.git so it gets more exposure to people
like me who build (and activate) all those packages that are in
elpa.git.  As long as the "Version:" header is set to "0", then this
won't create a GNU ELPA package (i.e. won't make a "release").