* Re: rnc-mode updated for GNU Emacs 23+
       [not found]     ` <CANz3_EZutYF4E4SLKRCXUKJb4hDwyEDqVHFjV2KZMvZgEevesA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-12-20 19:16       ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2012-12-20 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Emerson, James Clark; +Cc: emacs-devel, emacs-nxml-mode

For reference on original discussion refer to:

  https://github.com/TreeRex/rnc-mode
  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/RELAX_NG

On 2012-12-20, James Clark wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Tom Emerson  wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM, James Clark wrote:
>>
>>> Have you tried contacting the original author?  It was David Rosenborg,
>>> who is still listed at:
>>
>> Yes, but as of yet I have not received a response.

> Thanks for taking this on.
>
> I suggest you send a bug report to the FSF list suggesting that they patch
> the manual to point to your github repository.

How about submitting sources to

  http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/elpa/

In this case package become available in

  http://elpa.gnu.org/

Or ever to Emacs distro?

Why this to do? Because of nxml-mode it is important for Emacs to have
rnc-mode. Personally I write some own .rnc files and read a lot of SVG/XHTML
etc .rnc files in Emacs.

Also this is very stable package (as remarked in original discussion) so
additional maintenance is not required and this is big argument for inclusion
to Emacs or GNU elpa.

And I don't know how long Tom will be interested in maintaining rnc-mode. With
Emacs developers community this mode will be more living then with single
maintainer... Any further maintenance can be done with bug submission for
anyone.

That my suggestion. And I know that pushing mode to Emacs is hard work.
It may require David Rosenborg permission or something similar...

I use original rnc-mode.el (from home page) without modifications in Emacs
23/24 for long time (but use only basic features - indentation and
highlighting)... It have such header:

  ;;   A major mode for editing RELAX NG Compact syntax.
  ;;   Version: 1.0b3
  ;;   Date: 2002-12-05

  ;;   Copyright (c) 2002, Pantor Engineering AB
  ;;   All rights reserved.

So I surprised that it didn't work for Tom.

I checkout Tom's git sources and found only 2 difference in:

  (defun rnc-make-regexp-choice (operands)

and

  (defun rnc-electric-brace (arg)

which use non-existing functions in Emacs 23/24.

So seems that I have in some way broken code highlighting. And I avoid to use
'electric' features in all modes...

But my Emacs don't produce errors in *Message* buffer for my use cases.

--
Best regards!

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    emacs-nxml-mode-digest@yahoogroups.com
    emacs-nxml-mode-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

* Re: [emacs-nxml-mode] rnc-mode updated for GNU Emacs 23+
@ 2012-12-20 21:38         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-12-20 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleksandr Gavenko; +Cc: emacs-nxml-mode, Tom Emerson, emacs-devel, James Clark

> How about submitting sources to
>   http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/elpa/

Indeed, I'd be happy to see rnc-mode in GNU ELPA.  If someone can make
sure the copyright paperwork is in order, that would be
very appreciated.

* Re: rnc-mode updated for GNU Emacs 23+
@ 2012-12-20 21:43           ` Tom Emerson
From: Tom Emerson @ 2012-12-20 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier
  Cc: Oleksandr Gavenko, James Clark, emacs-nxml-mode, emacs-devel

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> Indeed, I'd be happy to see rnc-mode in GNU ELPA.  If someone can make
> sure the copyright paperwork is in order, that would be very appreciated.

It is already in MELPA, FWIW. I presume that if it moves to GNU ELPA
it should be removed from the alternate archive.

Since I haven't heard anything from the original author (given the
nearness of Christmas he may be on holiday and not checking mail), and
it is under his company's copyright, I'm not sure I can submit the
appropriate paperwork.

    -tree

--
Tom Emerson
tremerson@gmail.com

@ 2012-12-21  1:42             ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-12-21  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Emerson; +Cc: emacs-nxml-mode, James Clark, emacs-devel, Oleksandr Gavenko

>> Indeed, I'd be happy to see rnc-mode in GNU ELPA.  If someone can make
>> sure the copyright paperwork is in order, that would be very appreciated.
> It is already in MELPA, FWIW.  I presume that if it moves to GNU ELPA
> it should be removed from the alternate archive.

That would be preferable, but it's not terribly important.

> Since I haven't heard anything from the original author (given the
> nearness of Christmas he may be on holiday and not checking mail), and
> it is under his company's copyright, I'm not sure I can submit the
> appropriate paperwork.

Only the authors of the code can submit such paperwork.
More specifically, what needs to be done is to find which are the
contributors (contributions that total less than about 20 lines of code
don't need to do anything special), and then contact them to ask them if
they're willing to sign the necessary paperwork (unless they've already
signed it, of course).

So, the first step is to figure out who are all the
(non-trivial) contributors.

* Re: rnc-mode updated for GNU Emacs 23+
@ 2012-12-21  3:52               ` Tom Emerson
From: Tom Emerson @ 2012-12-21  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier
  Cc: Oleksandr Gavenko, James Clark, emacs-nxml-mode, emacs-devel

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 8:42 PM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
[...]
> Only the authors of the code can submit such paperwork.
> More specifically, what needs to be done is to find which are the
> contributors (contributions that total less than about 20 lines of code
> don't need to do anything special), and then contact them to ask them if
> they're willing to sign the necessary paperwork (unless they've already
> signed it, of course).
>
> So, the first step is to figure out who are all the
> (non-trivial) contributors.

The changes I made for Emacs 23/24 are trivial. We would need to get
the original author, David Rosenborg, to do the copyright assignment,
and as I mentioned earlier in the thread he hasn't responded to my
inquiries. So until that time (I'll send another after the new year to
allow for him being on holiday) there is nothing to be done.

    -tree

--

@ 2012-12-21  4:49                 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-12-21  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Emerson; +Cc: emacs-nxml-mode, James Clark, emacs-devel, Oleksandr Gavenko

> The changes I made for Emacs 23/24 are trivial. We would need to get
> the original author, David Rosenborg, to do the copyright assignment,
> and as I mentioned earlier in the thread he hasn't responded to my
> inquiries. So until that time (I'll send another after the new year to
> allow for him being on holiday) there is nothing to be done.

Indeed, we first need to contact him in any case.  Maybe the email
address is dead, in which case we'd need to find a new email address
of his.