* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117810: Clean up initialization and customization of horizontal scroll bars.
       [not found] <E1XPCD9-0006dG-B3@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2014-09-03 16:39 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-09-03 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: emacs-devel

> +** Emacs can now draw horizontal scroll bars on some platforms that
> +provide toolkit scroll bars, namely Gtk, Lucid, Motif and Windows.
> +Horizontal scroll bars are turned off by default.  Use the command
> +`horizontal-scroll-bar-mode' to toggle them on all frames; the frame
> +parameter `horizontal-scroll-bars' to turn them on/off on individual
> +frames; the function `set-window-scroll-bars' to turn them on/off on
> +individual windows.

Do we really need per-frame settings?

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117810: Clean up initialization and customization of horizontal scroll bars.
@ 2014-09-03 16:44   ` chad
From: chad @ 2014-09-03 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: martin rudalics, emacs-devel

On 03 Sep 2014, at 09:39, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> +** Emacs can now draw horizontal scroll bars on some platforms that
>> +provide toolkit scroll bars, namely Gtk, Lucid, Motif and Windows.
>> +Horizontal scroll bars are turned off by default.  Use the command
>> +`horizontal-scroll-bar-mode' to toggle them on all frames; the frame
>> +parameter `horizontal-scroll-bars' to turn them on/off on individual
>> +frames; the function `set-window-scroll-bars' to turn them on/off on
>> +individual windows.
>
> Do we really need per-frame settings?

I certainly don't want a horizontal scroll bar on my dedicated minibuffer
frame. That's a theoretical problem right now, since I'm using
macosx.

~Chad

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117810: Clean up initialization and customization of horizontal scroll bars.
@ 2014-09-03 16:53   ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2014-09-03 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

 > Do we really need per-frame settings?

Scroll bars are implemented as frame parameters.  What else should we
do?

martin

* RE: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117810: Clean up initialization and customization of horizontal scroll bars.
@ 2014-09-03 16:54     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-09-03 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chad, Stefan Monnier; +Cc: martin rudalics, emacs-devel

> > Do we really need per-frame settings?
>
> I certainly don't want a horizontal scroll bar on my dedicated
> minibuffer frame. That's a theoretical problem right now, since
> I'm using macosx.

That is controllable via option `minibuffer-frame-alist'.

(Likewise, for `default-frame-alist' and `special-display-frame-alist'.)

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117810: Clean up initialization and customization of horizontal scroll bars.
@ 2014-09-03 17:52     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-09-03 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chad; +Cc: martin rudalics, emacs-devel

> I certainly don't want a horizontal scroll bar on my dedicated minibuffer
> frame. That's a theoretical problem right now, since I'm using
> macosx.

I think what you mean is that you don't want a horizontal scrollbar in
your minibuffer *window* (which happens to be displayed in a frame that
only holds this window).

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117810: Clean up initialization and customization of horizontal scroll bars.
@ 2014-09-03 17:54     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-09-03 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> Do we really need per-frame settings?
> Scroll bars are implemented as frame parameters.

Ah, well, in that case.

> What else should we do?

I was thinking "one global var, plus per-window settings".

But it's worth reworking it, so let's just pretend I didn't
say anything.