* font-lock-maximum-decoration API
@ 2019-05-20  3:28 Paul W. Rankin
From: Paul W. Rankin @ 2019-05-20  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

wrt.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2019-05/msg00022.html

There is a little-used Emacs feature to allow different levels of
font-lock decoration via the variable
font-lock-maximum-decoration:

> You can customize the variable ‘font-lock-maximum-decoration’ to
> alter the amount of fontification applied by Font Lock mode, for
> major modes that support this feature. The value should be a
> number (with 1 representing a minimal amount of fontification;
> some modes support levels as high as 3); or ‘t’, meaning “as
> high as possible” (the default).[1]

I've noticed that few major modes implement multiple levels of
font-lock decoration, which might be because it's more difficult
to dynamically create different font-lock keywords, but it also
could be because there seems to be no API for programmatically
changing this value per major mode, as the variable permits:

> If a list, each element should be a cons pair of the form
> (MAJOR-MODE . LEVEL),
> where MAJOR-MODE is a symbol or t (meaning the default).  For
> example:
>  ((c-mode . t) (c++-mode . 2) (t . 1))
> means use the maximum decoration available for buffers in C
> mode, level 2
> decoration for buffers in C++ mode, and level 1 decoration
> otherwise.

When writing fountain-mode, I wanted several levels of font-lock,
and so needed to implement a couple of functions to get and set
this variable, but this felt a bit outside a major mode's bounds.

I'd love to see more major modes offering multiple levels of
font-lock[3] so it would be nice if major modes could call a
function to safely set this variable for themselves, without
needing to handle the whole list.

If at all helpful, I've included the functions in fountain-mode.
As this code is in GNU ELPA, it remains available to implement
into Emacs if anyone wishes:

(defun fountain-get-font-lock-decoration ()
  "Return the value of `font-lock-maximum-decoration' for
  `fountain-mode'."
  (let ((n (if (listp font-lock-maximum-decoration)
               (cdr (or (assq 'fountain-mode
               font-lock-maximum-decoration)
                        (assq 't font-lock-maximum-decoration)))
             font-lock-maximum-decoration)))
    (cond ((null n) 2)
          ((eq n t) 3)
          ((integerp n) n)
          (t 2))))

(defun fountain-set-font-lock-decoration (n)
  "Set `font-lock-maximum-decoration' for `fountain-mode' to N."
  (interactive "NMaximum decoration (1-3): ")
  (if (and (integerp n)
           (<= 1 n 3))
      (let ((level (cond ((= n 1) 1)
                         ((= n 2) nil)
                         ((= n 3) t))))
        (cond ((listp font-lock-maximum-decoration)
               (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration
                     (assq-delete-all 'fountain-mode
                     font-lock-maximum-decoration))
               (customize-set-variable
               'font-lock-maximum-decoration
                                       (cons (cons 'fountain-mode
                                       level)
                                             font-lock-maximum-decoration)))
              ((or (booleanp font-lock-maximum-decoration)
                   (integerp font-lock-maximum-decoration))
               (customize-set-variable
               'font-lock-maximum-decoration
                                       (list (cons 'fountain-mode
                                       level)
                                             (cons 't
                                             font-lock-maximum-decoration)))))
        (message "Syntax highlighting is now: %s"
                 (cond ((= n 1) "minimum")
                       ((= n 2) "default")
                       ((= n 3) "maximum")))
        (font-lock-refresh-defaults))
    (user-error "Decoration must be an integer 1-3")))

[1]: (info "(emacs) Font Lock")
[2]: Something a little silly about this option is that the
defcustom includes this tag:

    (const :tag "default" nil)

Which implies to the user that nil or the 2nd highest level is
default, despite t or 3rd highest being the Emacs default. The
question of which level is the "default" is pretty inconsistent
between the variable docstring, the manual, and the code
implementation itself.

[3]: I'd also like to see more major modes correctly using
font-lock rather than their own dysfunctional mutant
abominations...

--
https://www.paulwrankin.com

* Re: font-lock-maximum-decoration API
@ 2019-05-20  3:42 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-05-20  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I've noticed that few major modes implement multiple levels of font-lock
> decoration, which might be because it's more difficult to dynamically create
> different font-lock keywords, but it also could be because there seems to be
> no API for programmatically changing this value per major mode, as the
> variable permits:

Another reason might be that "levels" is not a very useful guide.
E.g. I like my major modes to work hard to give useful font-lock
highlighting, but I don't like it when they highlight everything.