* scratch branches in Gnu Elpa
@ 2018-10-18 17:47 Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2018-10-18 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Development

Hello,

when I add a branch under scratch/ in Gnu Elpa, I can do there what I
want, right?  I mean, including history rewriting stuff, in particular.

What I intend to do is to provide a preview or "developer" version of
el-search that corresponds to the version on my hard disc, to enable
people to check whether a bug is fixed there and such things.

I typically test new features locally quite some time before I upload
them to Gnu Elpa.

Thanks,

Michael.

* Re: scratch branches in Gnu Elpa
@ 2018-10-19  1:07 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-10-19  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> when I add a branch under scratch/ in Gnu Elpa, I can do there what I
> want, right?  I mean, including history rewriting stuff, in particular.

Yes.

* Re: scratch branches in Gnu Elpa
@ 2018-10-19 22:14   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2018-10-19 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> > when I add a branch under scratch/ in Gnu Elpa, I can do there what I
> > want, right?  I mean, including history rewriting stuff, in particular.
>
> Yes.

Thanks, but the server denies non-fast-forward pushes of my scratch
branch even when forced (log from Magit):

|   1 git … push -v --force --no-verify origin scratch/mheerdegen-preview\:refs/heads/scratch/mheerdegen-preview
| Pushing to mheerdegen@git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs/elpa.git
| Writing objects: 100% (165/165), 105.27 KiB | 4.58 MiB/s, done.
| Total 165 (delta 119), reused 9 (delta 5)
| remote: error: denying non-fast-forward refs/heads/scratch/mheerdegen-preview (you should pull first)
| To git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs/elpa.git
|  ! [remote rejected]     scratch/mheerdegen-preview -> scratch/mheerdegen-preview (non-fast-forward)
| error: failed to push some refs to 'mheerdegen@git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs/elpa.git'

Why is that?

While we are here: I use a pre-push hook script like the following to
make pushing fail when a commit message starts with "WIP" (to protect me
from myself).  Sorry for my ignorance - how can I change this script so
that /scratch branches are not treated (I'm not good in writing
bash)?

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
remote="$1"
url="$2"

z40=0000000000000000000000000000000000000000

IFS=' '
while read local_ref local_sha remote_ref remote_sha
do
	if [ "$local_sha" = $z40 ]
	then
	    # Handle delete
            :
	else
		if [ "$remote_sha" = $z40 ]
		then
			# New branch, examine all commits
			range="$local_sha"
		else
			# Update to existing branch, examine new commits
			range="$remote_sha..$local_sha"
		fi

		# Check for WIP commit
		#commit=`git rev-list -n 1 --grep '^WIP' "$range"`
                commit=`git rev-list -n 1 --grep '^WIP' "$range"`
		if [ -n "$commit" ]
		then
			echo "Found WIP commit in $local_ref, not pushing"
			exit 1
		fi
	fi
done

exit 0
#+end_src

TIA,

@ 2018-10-20  1:55     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-10-20  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> > when I add a branch under scratch/ in Gnu Elpa, I can do there what I
>> > want, right?  I mean, including history rewriting stuff, in particular.
>> Yes.
> Thanks, but the server denies non-fast-forward pushes of my scratch
> branch even when forced (log from Magit):

It generally doesn't allow it, indeed.  You can still do it by deleting
the branch and then pushing a new branch under the same name.