* Option for saving all buffers always?
@ 2019-08-05 10:51 Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-08-05 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I just realised that I have never in the history of ever said "n" to the
question "Save file ...?"  So I wondered whether there was any easy way
to make `save-some-buffers' always save everything.  (The question is
especially annoying when compiling/grepping for stuff.)

But there doesn't seem to be.  I could add an advice to the function to
pass in the always-save parameter, but this strikes me as something that
I think other users will want, too.

Does this seem like a useful addition?  If so, what would this variable
be called?  `save-all-buffers-without-query'?

* Re: Option for saving all buffers always?
@ 2019-08-05 13:16 ` Søren Pilgård
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Søren Pilgård @ 2019-08-05 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Emacs developers

Look into save-some-buffers-default-predicate

@ 2019-08-05 13:44   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-08-05 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Søren Pilgård; +Cc: Emacs developers

Søren Pilgård <fiskomaten@gmail.com> writes:

> Look into save-some-buffers-default-predicate

That variable is just to make `save-some-buffers' skip some buffers
altogether when saving -- it's not about prompting.

* Re: Option for saving all buffers always?
@ 2019-08-05 13:50     ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2019-08-05 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Søren Pilgård, Emacs developers

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 at 09:44, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> Søren Pilgård <fiskomaten@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Look into save-some-buffers-default-predicate
>
> That variable is just to make `save-some-buffers' skip some buffers
> altogether when saving -- it's not about prompting.

I guess (setq-default buffer-save-without-query t) might work though.

* Re: Option for saving all buffers always?
@ 2019-08-05 13:52       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-08-05 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noam Postavsky; +Cc: Søren Pilgård, Emacs developers

Noam Postavsky <npostavs@gmail.com> writes:

> I guess (setq-default buffer-save-without-query t) might work though.

That will make Emacs offer to save even the buffers that aren't
connected to files.  :-)

* Re: Option for saving all buffers always?
@ 2019-08-05 14:25         ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2019-08-05 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Søren Pilgård, Emacs developers

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 at 09:53, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> Noam Postavsky <npostavs@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I guess (setq-default buffer-save-without-query t) might work though.
>
> That will make Emacs offer to save even the buffers that aren't
> connected to files.  :-)

Hah, you're right. Maybe

(add-hook 'find-file-hook (lambda () (setq buffer-save-without-query t)))

* Re: Option for saving all buffers always?
@ 2019-08-05 15:02           ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2019-08-05 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noam Postavsky
  Cc: Søren Pilgård, Lars Ingebrigtsen, Emacs developers

On Aug 05 2019, Noam Postavsky <npostavs@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 at 09:53, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
>>
>> Noam Postavsky <npostavs@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > I guess (setq-default buffer-save-without-query t) might work though.
>>
>> That will make Emacs offer to save even the buffers that aren't
>> connected to files.  :-)
>
> Hah, you're right. Maybe
>
> (add-hook 'find-file-hook (lambda () (setq buffer-save-without-query t)))

buffer-file-name can change any time.

It's probably easiest to advice save-some-buffers and make arg always be
non-nil.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, schwab@suse.de
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7

* Re: Option for saving all buffers always?
@ 2019-08-05 15:46 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-08-05 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I just realised that I have never in the history of ever said "n" to the
> question "Save file ...?"  So I wondered whether there was any easy way
> to make `save-some-buffers' always save everything.  (The question is
> especially annoying when compiling/grepping for stuff.)

You can just "!" to approve all saves -- that doesn't seem that annoying.

* Re: Option for saving all buffers always?
@ 2019-08-07 15:07 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2019-08-07 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2019-08-05, at 12:51, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> I just realised that I have never in the history of ever said "n" to the
> question "Save file ...?"  So I wondered whether there was any easy way
> to make `save-some-buffers' always save everything.  (The question is
> especially annoying when compiling/grepping for stuff.)

FWIW, while I agree with you, I say `n' relatively often (say, a few
time a week).  Maybe 1% of the cases, but still.  (Doesn't make your
request any less reasonable, of course.)

Just a datapoint.

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: Option for saving all buffers always?
@ 2019-08-07 18:29   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-08-07 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> I just realised that I have never in the history of ever said "n" to the
>> question "Save file ...?"  So I wondered whether there was any easy way
>> to make `save-some-buffers' always save everything.  (The question is
>> especially annoying when compiling/grepping for stuff.)
>
> You can just "!" to approve all saves -- that doesn't seem that annoying.

It's annoying to me.  :-)

But there didn't seem to be a general clamouring for this functionality,
so I just went with advice instead.  For future duckduckgoing, here's
the necessary incantation:

(advice-add 'save-some-buffers :around
	    (lambda (oldfun &optional arg pred)
	      (funcall oldfun t pred)))

* Re: Option for saving all buffers always?
@ 2019-08-10 18:54     ` Stephen Leake
       [not found]       ` <CADoYgq-np68aTT=XekhoYOWS_wyi7YH7t8gJuiMOoHwNOe5iog@mail.gmail.com>
From: Stephen Leake @ 2019-08-10 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>>
>>> I just realised that I have never in the history of ever said "n" to the
>>> question "Save file ...?"  So I wondered whether there was any easy way
>>> to make `save-some-buffers' always save everything.  (The question is
>>> especially annoying when compiling/grepping for stuff.)
>>
>> You can just "!" to approve all saves -- that doesn't seem that annoying.
>
> It's annoying to me.  :-)
>
> But there didn't seem to be a general clamouring for this functionality,
> so I just went with advice instead.  For future duckduckgoing, here's
> the necessary incantation:
>
> (advice-add 'save-some-buffers :around
> 	    (lambda (oldfun &optional arg pred)
> 	      (funcall oldfun t pred)))

I did the same thing many moons ago. It's easy enough to do, and a good
skill to have; i don't think we need yet another global setting for this.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Option for saving all buffers always?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-08-10 19:40 ` Clément Pit-Claudel
From: Clément Pit-Claudel @ 2019-08-10 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2019-08-05 06:51, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> (The question is
> especially annoying when compiling/grepping for stuff.)

Patching M-x compile and M-x rgrep to only prompt about files within the current directory or its descendants has been on my TODO-list for a long time.

* Re: Option for saving all buffers always?
@ 2019-08-10 20:57   ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2019-08-10 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Clément Pit-Claudel <cpitclaudel@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2019-08-05 06:51, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> (The question is
>> especially annoying when compiling/grepping for stuff.)
>
> Patching M-x compile and M-x rgrep to only prompt about files within
> the current directory or its descendants has been on my TODO-list for
> a long time.

+1

I actually used a patched Magit to do this, until they added the feature
(or I submitted it, dunno).

Actually, as it is common to have multi-level source trees and the build
can be invoked from anywhere, the feature needs a method to determine
the root directory. Assuming that the interesting buffers are on the
current directory or its descendants is ok for rgrep, but not for
compile.

* Re: Option for saving all buffers always?
@ 2019-08-10 23:12   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-08-10 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Pit-Claudel; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> (The question is
>> especially annoying when compiling/grepping for stuff.)
>
> Patching M-x compile and M-x rgrep to only prompt about files within the
> current directory or its descendants has been on my TODO-list for
> a long time.

You can take inspiration from pcl-cvs (for which I extended the
argument of save-some-buffer).

* Fwd: Option for saving all buffers always?
       [not found]       ` <CADoYgq-np68aTT=XekhoYOWS_wyi7YH7t8gJuiMOoHwNOe5iog@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2019-08-11  4:35         ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2019-08-11  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> > (advice-add 'save-some-buffers :around
> >           (lambda (oldfun &optional arg pred)
> >             (funcall oldfun t pred)))

I never thought of this; it's rather good and efficient. I've been
doing something different:

(define-key global-map "\C-x\C-c" 'rjn-kill-emacs-quietly)

and in the function 'rjn-kill-emacs-quietly I have a number of things including

(save-some-buffers 1 t)

as well as things to close out gnus cleanly, and finally

(kill-emacs)

I guess the big difference is that M-x kill-emacs won't alter default
exit behavior while C-x C-c will now ensure buffers are saved, etc.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

Via Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB.