* backup-by-copying-when-mismatch (was: bug#7289: Tramp changes ownership of remote file when saving)
       [not found]         ` <87k4kxzefl.fsf@gmx.de>
@ 2010-11-01 14:12           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-11-01 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: Jo Vermeulen, emacs-devel

[ Moving this to emacs-devel. ]

>> 2 problems with this patch:
>> - (put <var> 'permanent-local t) should *never* be in such a function.
>> It's a top-level operation that has global effects and belongs right
>> next to the var's defvar.

> I want to have `backup-by-copying-when-mismatch' buffer local. If I set
> it in `insert-file-contents' (via `make-local-variable'), it is not kept
> buffer local in that buffer.  How could I achieve this otherwise?

You could place the `put' in files.el at toplevel, right next to the
definition of backup-by-copying-when-mismatch.

>> - This makes it impossible to choose backup-by-copying-when-mismatch=nil
>> when accessing such remote files, whereas for local files accessed by
>> root a (setq backup-by-copying-when-mismatch nil) in the .emacs will
>> do the trick.
> D'accord.  We would need another way for the user to express his
> wish.  Maybe there shall be also other values but only than nil and t.

That would be an option, indeed.

>> A simpler solution would be to change the default value of
>> backup-by-copying-when-mismatch to t for everyone rather than just
>> for root.  I don't know what would the objections to this.

> From my pov it would be acceptable, but I don't know how people see it.

Neither do I.

> And we should check what it does mean for remote files, because they
> tend to "mismatch" more often.

That's a very good point.

* Re: backup-by-copying-when-mismatch
@ 2010-11-04 14:51             ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2010-11-04 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Jo Vermeulen, emacs-devel@gnu.org

>>> A simpler solution would be to change the default value of
>>> backup-by-copying-when-mismatch to t for everyone rather than just
>>> for root.  I don't know what would the objections to this.
>
>> From my pov it would be acceptable, but I don't know how people see it.
>
> Neither do I.

Let's change the default in the trunk. I'll deactivate the setting in
Tramp, and we'll see whether there are complaints. OK?

>> And we should check what it does mean for remote files, because they
>> tend to "mismatch" more often.
>
> That's a very good point.

I'm a regular Tramp user, I'll keep it in mind to check whether there
are collateral damages.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: backup-by-copying-when-mismatch
@ 2010-11-20 10:49               ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2010-11-20 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel@gnu.org

>>> From my pov it would be acceptable, but I don't know how people see it.
>>
>> Neither do I.
>
> Let's change the default in the trunk. I'll deactivate the setting in
> Tramp, and we'll see whether there are complaints. OK?

Ping.

Stefan, shall I change it this way?

>>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: backup-by-copying-when-mismatch
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-11-21 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

>>> Neither do I.
>> Let's change the default in the trunk. I'll deactivate the setting in
>> Tramp, and we'll see whether there are complaints. OK?
> Ping.
> Stefan, shall I change it this way?

OK, let's try it.

* Re: backup-by-copying-when-mismatch
@ 2010-11-21 19:48                   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2010-11-21 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

>>> Let's change the default in the trunk. I'll deactivate the setting in
>>> Tramp, and we'll see whether there are complaints. OK?
>> Ping.
>> Stefan, shall I change it this way?
>
> OK, let's try it.

done.