* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 934a72c: User can specify files never subject to flymake.
       [not found] ` <20171101134010.1A70A209B1@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2017-11-01 14:15   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-11-01 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Sam Steingold

>     * lisp/progmodes/flymake-proc.el (flymake-proc-ignored-file-name-regexps):
>     Add user customization option.

Shouldn't this be in flymake.el and apply to all flymake backends rather
than only those using flymake-proc?

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 934a72c: User can specify files never subject to flymake.
@ 2017-11-01 21:26     ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2017-11-01 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> * Stefan Monnier <zbaavre@VEB.HZbagerny.PN> [2017-11-01 10:15:08 -0400]:
>
>>     * lisp/progmodes/flymake-proc.el (flymake-proc-ignored-file-name-regexps):
>>     Add user customization option.
>
> Shouldn't this be in flymake.el and apply to all flymake backends
> rather than only those using flymake-proc?

You might be right, but I don't see any place in flymake.el where file
names are processed.

Thanks.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1504
http://steingoldpsychology.com http://www.childpsy.net http://honestreporting.com

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 934a72c: User can specify files never subject to flymake.
@ 2017-11-02 20:59       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-11-02 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> * lisp/progmodes/flymake-proc.el (flymake-proc-ignored-file-name-regexps):
>>> Add user customization option.
>> Shouldn't this be in flymake.el and apply to all flymake backends
>> rather than only those using flymake-proc?
> You might be right, but I don't see any place in flymake.el where file
> names are processed.

Hmm... indeed.  I guess the right thing depends on what's the use-case.
Could you describe the kind of situation in which you need

@ 2017-11-03 15:50         ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2017-11-03 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> * Stefan Monnier <zbaavre@veb.hzbagerny.pn> [2017-11-02 16:59:23 -0400]:

>>> Shouldn't this be in flymake.el and apply to all flymake backends
>>> rather than only those using flymake-proc?
>> You might be right, but I don't see any place in flymake.el where file
>> names are processed.
>
> Hmm... indeed.  I guess the right thing depends on what's the use-case.
> Could you describe the kind of situation in which you need
> flymake-proc-ignored-file-name-regexps?

I have files scratch.py which are somewhat like a poor man's notebook,
with random snippets of code which persist from session to session.
flymake using pylint will flag most lines in such files.

So I have this in my .emacs:

(eval-when-compile (defvar flymake-proc-ignored-file-name-regexps))
(eval-after-load "flymake"
  '(add-to-list 'flymake-proc-ignored-file-name-regexps '"/scratch"))

(I know it's ugly, please see
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-09/msg00199.html for
discussion).

Thanks.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1504
http://steingoldpsychology.com http://www.childpsy.net http://camera.org

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 934a72c: User can specify files never subject to flymake.
@ 2017-11-03 18:36     ` João Távora
From: João Távora @ 2017-11-03 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Sam Steingold, emacs-devel

>>     * lisp/progmodes/flymake-proc.el (flymake-proc-ignored-file-name-regexps):
>>     Add user customization option.
>
> Shouldn't this be in flymake.el and apply to all flymake backends rather
> than only those using flymake-proc?

Also Sam, shouldn't this commit already take care of your specific problem?

    de3a3ed034467ff2529c8262600e8a249969fd14
    Author: Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org>
    Date:   Mon Aug 21 09:48:14 2017 -0400

        allow nil init in flymake-allowed-file-name-masks to disable flymake

Or did I break it in the process?

João

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 934a72c: User can specify files never subject to flymake.
@ 2017-11-03 18:50           ` João Távora
From: João Távora @ 2017-11-03 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Steingold; +Cc: emacs-devel

Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org> writes:

>> * Stefan Monnier <zbaavre@veb.hzbagerny.pn> [2017-11-02 16:59:23 -0400]:

>>> You might be right, but I don't see any place in flymake.el where file
>>> names are processed.
>>
>> Hmm... indeed.  I guess the right thing depends on what's the use-case.
>> Could you describe the kind of situation in which you need
>> flymake-proc-ignored-file-name-regexps?
>
> I have files scratch.py which are somewhat like a poor man's notebook,
> with random snippets of code which persist from session to session.
> flymake using pylint will flag most lines in such files.
>
> So I have this in my .emacs:
>
> (eval-when-compile (defvar flymake-proc-ignored-file-name-regexps))
> (eval-after-load "flymake"
>   '(add-to-list 'flymake-proc-ignored-file-name-regexps '"/scratch"))

[Curious, why do you the defvar? Is the FORM of eval-after-load
byte-compiled?]

Such a facility to disable flymake could be in flymake.el, but perhaps
it is better if it was already elsewhere in Emacs.

A file-local or dir-local variable seems most logical, and setting
flymake-diagnostic-functions to nil appears to work (minus the fact that
it complains to be risky even for nil values, which could I think be
changed).

Personally, I would set this variable in my mini-python-scratchpads. But
if you must do this by filename matching, I wonder if dir-local
variables allows that, or if even if we could conjure up some type of
regexp-local variables.

João

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 934a72c: User can specify files never subject to flymake.
@ 2017-11-03 19:42       ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2017-11-03 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> * João Távora <wbnbgniben@tznvy.pbz> [2017-11-03 18:36:47 +0000]:
>
> Stefan Monnier <monnier@IRO.UMontreal.CA> writes:
>
>>>     * lisp/progmodes/flymake-proc.el (flymake-proc-ignored-file-name-regexps):
>>>     Add user customization option.
>>
>> Shouldn't this be in flymake.el and apply to all flymake backends rather
>> than only those using flymake-proc?
>
> Also Sam, shouldn't this commit already take care of your specific problem?
>
>     de3a3ed034467ff2529c8262600e8a249969fd14
>     Author: Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org>
>     Date:   Mon Aug 21 09:48:14 2017 -0400
>
>         allow nil init in flymake-allowed-file-name-masks to disable flymake
>
> Or did I break it in the process?

I think you did, it no longer works.
Also, it relies on the "disabling" record to come before the "enabling"
one, so it was not such a good idea in the first place.

Thanks for you work on flymake!

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1504
http://steingoldpsychology.com http://www.childpsy.net https://ffii.org

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 934a72c: User can specify files never subject to flymake.
@ 2017-11-03 19:48             ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2017-11-03 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> * João Távora <wbnbgniben@tznvy.pbz> [2017-11-03 18:50:27 +0000]:
>
> Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> * Stefan Monnier <zbaavre@veb.hzbagerny.pn> [2017-11-02 16:59:23 -0400]:

>>> Hmm... indeed.  I guess the right thing depends on what's the use-case.
>>> Could you describe the kind of situation in which you need
>>> flymake-proc-ignored-file-name-regexps?
>>
>> I have files scratch.py which are somewhat like a poor man's notebook,
>> with random snippets of code which persist from session to session.
>> flymake using pylint will flag most lines in such files.
>>
>> So I have this in my .emacs:
>>
>> (eval-when-compile (defvar flymake-proc-ignored-file-name-regexps))
>> (eval-after-load "flymake"
>>   '(add-to-list 'flymake-proc-ignored-file-name-regexps '"/scratch"))
>
> [Curious, why do you the defvar? Is the FORM of eval-after-load
> byte-compiled?]

Yes.

> Such a facility to disable flymake could be in flymake.el, but perhaps
> it is better if it was already elsewhere in Emacs.

I am not prepared to argue over this, especially since it appears that
Stefan is not particularly happy about the change either.

Basically, elpy enables flymake everywhere and adding

# Local Variables:
# flymake-mode: nil
# End:

to every scratch pad is ugly and _does not work_.

Thanks.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1504
http://steingoldpsychology.com http://www.childpsy.net http://no2bds.org