* gui_insert_glyphs in xdisp.c
@ 2020-10-14  0:43 Akira Kyle
From: Akira Kyle @ 2020-10-14  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I spent the past half hour trying to figure out where this
function gets called to no avail. It seems to be a part of struct
redisplay_interface but I can't seem to find anywhere it gets
called. I also haven't been able to observe this function being
called when running emacs. Is this dead code?

* Re: gui_insert_glyphs in xdisp.c
@ 2020-10-14 14:01 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-10-14 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akira Kyle; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Akira Kyle <ak@akirakyle.com>
> Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 18:43:19 -0600
>
> I spent the past half hour trying to figure out where this
> function gets called to no avail. It seems to be a part of struct
> redisplay_interface but I can't seem to find anywhere it gets
> called. I also haven't been able to observe this function being
> called when running emacs. Is this dead code?

The calls to this function were removed from the GUI display code when
we deleted the "direct output for insert" redisplay optimization.

* Re: gui_insert_glyphs in xdisp.c
@ 2020-10-14 19:15   ` Akira Kyle
From: Akira Kyle @ 2020-10-14 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 08:01 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
wrote:

>> I spent the past half hour trying to figure out where this
>> function gets called to no avail. It seems to be a part of
>> struct
>> redisplay_interface but I can't seem to find anywhere it gets
>> called. I also haven't been able to observe this function being
>> called when running emacs. Is this dead code?
>
> The calls to this function were removed from the GUI display
> code when
> we deleted the "direct output for insert" redisplay
> optimization.

Thanks! Then I assume this was kept around in case someone in the
future wanted to utilize that part of the redisplay_interface?

* Re: gui_insert_glyphs in xdisp.c
@ 2020-10-15 13:35     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-10-15 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akira Kyle; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Akira Kyle <ak@akirakyle.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 13:15:39 -0600
>

> > The calls to this function were removed from the GUI display code
> > when we deleted the "direct output for insert" redisplay
> > optimization.
>
> Thanks! Then I assume this was kept around in case someone in the
> future wanted to utilize that part of the redisplay_interface?

Maybe.  Or maybe we simply didn't pay attention that there are no
callers of this functions anymore.

* Re: gui_insert_glyphs in xdisp.c
@ 2020-10-15 14:05       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-10-15 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Akira Kyle, emacs-devel

>> > The calls to this function were removed from the GUI display code
>> > when we deleted the "direct output for insert" redisplay
>> > optimization.
>> Thanks! Then I assume this was kept around in case someone in the
>> future wanted to utilize that part of the redisplay_interface?
> Maybe.  Or maybe we simply didn't pay attention that there are no
> callers of this functions anymore.

As the guy who removed those optimizations, I must admit that I didn't
realize it made those functions dead code.  So it definitely wasn't done