* md5 and sha1 signatures
@ 2011-05-26  9:38 Leo
From: Leo @ 2011-05-26  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello all,

Since there is only one user of sha1's BINARY arg namely canlock-sha1 in
the source tree, I wonder if it is worthwhile to make md5 and sha1 have
similar signature:

 (md5  OBJECT &optional START END CODING-SYSTEM NOERROR BINARY)
 (sha1 OBJECT &optional START END CODING-SYSTEM NOERROR BINARY)

What do you think?

Leo

* Re: md5 and sha1 signatures
@ 2011-05-27  0:53 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-05-27  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Since there is only one user of sha1's BINARY arg namely canlock-sha1 in
> the source tree, I wonder if it is worthwhile to make md5 and sha1 have
> similar signature:

>  (md5  OBJECT &optional START END CODING-SYSTEM NOERROR BINARY)
>  (sha1 OBJECT &optional START END CODING-SYSTEM NOERROR BINARY)

> What do you think?

I don't think it's worth the trouble.

* Re: md5 and sha1 signatures
@ 2011-05-27  3:12   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2011-05-27  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2011-05-27 08:53 +0800, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Since there is only one user of sha1's BINARY arg namely canlock-sha1 in
>> the source tree, I wonder if it is worthwhile to make md5 and sha1 have
>> similar signature:
>
>>  (md5  OBJECT &optional START END CODING-SYSTEM NOERROR BINARY)
>>  (sha1 OBJECT &optional START END CODING-SYSTEM NOERROR BINARY)
>
>> What do you think?
>
> I don't think it's worth the trouble.
>

>         Stefan

OK.

Leo

* Re: md5 and sha1 signatures
@ 2011-05-27  8:29   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-05-27  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Leo, emacs-devel

>> Since there is only one user of sha1's BINARY arg namely canlock-sha1
>> in the source tree, I wonder if it is worthwhile to make md5 and sha1
>> have similar signature:
>
>>  (md5  OBJECT &optional START END CODING-SYSTEM NOERROR BINARY)
>>  (sha1 OBJECT &optional START END CODING-SYSTEM NOERROR BINARY)
>
>> What do you think?
>
> I don't think it's worth the trouble.

Where's the big trouble, if there's only one user right now?

At least, all the command line tools `md5sum', `sha1sum', `sha224sum',
`sha256sum', `sha384sum', and `sha512sum' have the exact same options
and meanings.  So I don't see a valid reason to have different lisp
signatures, especially if there's a chance that other algorithms might
be added in the future.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: md5 and sha1 signatures
@ 2011-05-27 12:35     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-05-27 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: Leo, emacs-devel

>> I don't think it's worth the trouble.
> Where's the big trouble, if there's only one user right now?

Discussing it.
Handling the coding-system parameter.
Writing the patch.
Testing it.
Installing it.
Taking the risk that there are other users out there.