* Generic sequences in seq.el
@ 2018-12-21 11:42 Yuan Fu
From: Yuan Fu @ 2018-12-21 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'm trying to "upgrade" some methods from supporting list to supporting
generic sequence.
However, I couldn't figure out how to change the value of a sequence
destructively.
E.g., if I want to insert a element into a list, I can do something like

    (setf (nthcdr n seq) (cons element (nthcdr n seq)))

to insert element into the nth position in seq

But with sequences, I don't see any generic functions that can do similar
work.
Am I missing something?

BTW, what I'm doing now is define my own generic function, like

    (cl-defgeneric my-insert-at (elt seq)))

The idea is I'll implement this function for the generic sequence
that I'll define in the future. Is that a correct approach?
Other destructive functions that I couldn't find alternatives are delete,
push, pop, etc.

* Re: Generic sequences in seq.el
@ 2018-12-21 14:24 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-12-21 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>     (setf (nthcdr n seq) (cons element (nthcdr n seq)))
> to insert element into the nth position in seq

I think with `seq` you'd do something like

   (seq-concatenate 'list (seq-subseq seq 0 n)
                          (list element)
                          (seq-subseq seq n))

Of course, it's different because it's non-destructive, but insertion
into an array can't be done non-destructively anyway.

> The idea is I'll implement this function for the generic sequence
> that I'll define in the future. Is that a correct approach?
> Other destructive functions that I couldn't find alternatives are delete,
> push, pop, etc.

We currently don't have any data-structure that can be efficiently
modified in-place via push/pop (note that even lists don't qualify
because push/pop doesn't modify the list in place: they replace a list
with another without modifying any existing list (unless the PLACE is
the car/cdr of a list, of course, but that's a separate issue)).

* Re: Generic sequences in seq.el
@ 2018-12-23  2:04   ` Yuan Fu
From: Yuan Fu @ 2018-12-23  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>   (seq-concatenate 'list (seq-subseq seq 0 n)
>                          (list element)
>                          (seq-subseq seq n))

That returns a list, not the sequence. So inserting something into the
sequence
makes it not a sequence anymore?

> We currently don't have any data-structure that can be efficiently
> modified in-place via push/pop (note that even lists don't qualify
> because push/pop doesn't modify the list in place: they replace a list
> with another without modifying any existing list (unless the PLACE is
> the car/cdr of a list, of course, but that's a separate issue)).

Thanks, it's good to know.

Yuan.

@ 2018-12-23 14:34     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-12-23 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuan Fu; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>   (seq-concatenate 'list (seq-subseq seq 0 n)
>>                          (list element)
>>                          (seq-subseq seq n))
>
> That returns a list, not the sequence.

I'm not sure which sequence is "the" sequence, but a list is
definitely a sequence.

* Re: Generic sequences in seq.el
@ 2019-01-08  4:12       ` Yuan Fu
From: Yuan Fu @ 2019-01-08  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

You are right. I can implement my own
method to return objects that are not vector, string or list.

Still, it would be convenient to have a function
that can destructively modify a sequence. What is
the reason to not have one?

Yuan

@ 2019-01-08 15:01         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-01-08 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Still, it would be convenient to have a function
> that can destructively modify a sequence. What is
> the reason to not have one?

Two reasons:
1- Side-effects are bad.
2- There hasn't yet been a compelling reason to add one.
3- As mentioned before "We currently don't have any data-structure that
   can be efficiently modified in-place via push/pop".