* How do I build Emacs without byte compilation?
@ 2019-04-17 10:19 Jan Synacek
From: Jan Synacek @ 2019-04-17 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I would like to build Emacs several times with different compile-time
options, but byte-compile the elisp files only once, as the process takes
forever. Is there a way to do that?

Regards,
--
Jan Synacek
Software Engineer, Red Hat

* Re: How do I build Emacs without byte compilation?
@ 2019-04-17 13:37 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2019-04-17 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Synacek; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Jan> Hi, I would like to build Emacs several times with different
    Jan> compile-time options, but byte-compile the elisp files only
    Jan> once, as the process takes forever. Is there a way to do
    Jan> that?

'make clean' does not delete the .elc files.

Robert

* Re: How do I build Emacs without byte compilation?
@ 2019-04-17 13:46 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-04-17 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I would like to build Emacs several times with different compile-time
> options, but byte-compile the elisp files only once, as the process takes
> forever. Is there a way to do that?

I think the easiest/best way to do that is by building out of tree:

    cd /foo/bar
    mkdir build1 build2 build3
    (cd build1; .../emacs/configure --with-foo --with-bar; make)
    (cd build2; .../emacs/configure --without-foo --without-bar; make)
    (cd build3; .../emacs/configure --with-foo --wit-bar; make)

-- Stefan