* Why does fill-paragraph insert a "-" char on wrapped lines?
@ 2007-04-01  0:38 Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-04-01  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

When fill-paragraph is applied to

  ;; - This is a long line that will wrap when it is filled.

it is filled like this

  ;; - This is a long line that will wrap when it is
  ;; - filled.

I do not understand why there is a "-" char on the second line above. I
would expect that it looked like

  ;; - This is a long line that will wrap when it is
  ;;   filled.

* Re: Why does fill-paragraph insert a "-" char on wrapped lines?
@ 2007-04-01  7:48 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2007-04-01  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs Devel

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> When fill-paragraph is applied to
>
>  ;; - This is a long line that will wrap when it is filled.
>
> it is filled like this
>
>  ;; - This is a long line that will wrap when it is
>  ;; - filled.
>
> I do not understand why there is a "-" char on the second line above.

adaptive-fill-mode is a variable defined in `fill.el'.
Its value is t

Documentation:
*Non-nil means determine a paragraph's fill prefix from its text.

Andreas.

* Re: Why does fill-paragraph insert a "-" char on wrapped lines?
@ 2007-04-01 10:35   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-04-01 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Andreas Schwab wrote:
> "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> When fill-paragraph is applied to
>>
>>  ;; - This is a long line that will wrap when it is filled.
>>
>> it is filled like this
>>
>>  ;; - This is a long line that will wrap when it is
>>  ;; - filled.
>>
>> I do not understand why there is a "-" char on the second line above.
>
> adaptive-fill-mode is a variable defined in `fill.el'.
> Its value is t
>
> Documentation:
> *Non-nil means determine a paragraph's fill prefix from its text.

Thanks, but turning off adaptive-filll-mode instead gives me

   ;; - This is a long line that will wrap when it is
   ;; filled.

I would instead like

@ 2007-04-01 19:25 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-04-01 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs Devel

> When fill-paragraph is applied to

>  ;; - This is a long line that will wrap when it is filled.

> it is filled like this

>  ;; - This is a long line that will wrap when it is
>  ;; - filled.

> I do not understand why there is a "-" char on the second line
> above. I would expect that it looked like

>  ;; - This is a long line that will wrap when it is
>  ;;   filled.

It's a limitation of the current adaptive-fill-mode code.
It actually works in my local Emacs implementation, because I've added
various hacks to it, but this is post-22.

* Re: Why does fill-paragraph insert a "-" char on wrapped lines?
@ 2007-04-01 23:45   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-04-01 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> When fill-paragraph is applied to
>
>>  ;; - This is a long line that will wrap when it is filled.
>
>> it is filled like this
>
>>  ;; - This is a long line that will wrap when it is
>>  ;; - filled.
>
>> I do not understand why there is a "-" char on the second line
>> above. I would expect that it looked like
>
>>  ;; - This is a long line that will wrap when it is
>>  ;;   filled.
>
> It's a limitation of the current adaptive-fill-mode code.
> It actually works in my local Emacs implementation, because I've added
> various hacks to it, but this is post-22.

Thanks, I hoped it was something simple we could agree upon now.