* Emacs 24.5 wordstar emulation (ws-mode.el)
@ 2015-05-04 17:38 Douglas Quagliana
From: Douglas Quagliana @ 2015-05-04 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Somebody wrote in the NEWS file
>*** tpu-edt.el, ws-mode.el
>These emulations of old editors are believed to be no longer relevant
> - contact emacs-devel@gnu.org if you disagree.

I disagree.  I still use ws-mode.el to emulate WordStar in emacs.  In
fact, I would like to see a combined C mode and WordStar mode but I
don't know enough of Emacs's LISP to be able to implement it myself.

Douglas

* Re: Emacs 24.5 wordstar emulation (ws-mode.el)
@ 2015-05-04 19:50 ` Ivan Shmakov
From: Ivan Shmakov @ 2015-05-04 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Douglas Quagliana

 > Somebody wrote in the NEWS file

 >> *** tpu-edt.el, ws-mode.el These emulations of old editors are
 >> believed to be no longer relevant - contact emacs-devel@gnu.org if
 >> you disagree.

 > I disagree.  I still use ws-mode.el to emulate WordStar in emacs.

	A suggested option is to move both to GNU ELPA.  It’s simple,
	it’s in my todo list, but not done yet.

[…]

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://am-1.org/~ivan/      … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A

* Re: Emacs 24.5 wordstar emulation (ws-mode.el)
@ 2015-05-04 22:29   ` Douglas Quagliana
From: Douglas Quagliana @ 2015-05-04 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Douglas Quagliana

If the suggestion is just to move ws-mode.el to GNU ELPA for packaging
purposes, but ws-mode.el will continue to function and continue to
work in the future as it does now, then I'm okay with that.
I just don't want ws-mode.el to be abandoned, as I'm afraid that then
it would stop working after some future upgrade.
Douglas

@ 2015-05-05 11:52 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-05-05 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas Quagliana; +Cc: emacs-devel

> fact, I would like to see a combined C mode and WordStar mode but I

Clearly, like all such emulation modes, ws-mode should not be
a major-mode but a minor mode, that can then be combined with any other
major mode.

Patches welcome,

* Re: Emacs 24.5 wordstar emulation (ws-mode.el)
@ 2015-05-18 22:19   ` Douglas Quagliana
From: Douglas Quagliana @ 2015-05-18 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Hi Stefan,
   I really haven't touched lisp since before I got my Masters degree.
Can you offer any suggestions on how to create the patch so that
wordstar mode is a minor mode instead of a major mode?  Any help or
pointers appreciated.

Regards,
Douglas