* NEWS entry for ses.el changes
@ 2012-11-11  2:27 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-11-11  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vincentb1; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi,

I don't use ses.el, but it looks to me like this change:

2012-04-17  Vincent Belangerche  <vincentb1@users.sourceforge.net>

   * ses.el: The overall change is to add cell renaming, that
   is setting fancy names for cell symbols other than name[...]

should have an etc/NEWS entry. Please could you add one in the emacs-24
branch? Thanks. Maybe the 2012-11-09 trunk changes need one too, I don't
know. Ideally, the ses manual would be updated too...

* Re: NEWS entry for ses.el changes
@ 2012-11-11  2:38 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-11-11  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hmph:

    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<vincentb1@users.sourceforge.net>:
    host mx.sourceforge.net [216.34.181.68]: 550-Your IP, 208.118.235.10
    has been autoblocked because of abuse.

[ie, sourceforge has blocked fencepost.gnu.org. I guess I'll inform
sysadmin@gnu...]

* Re: NEWS entry for ses.el changes
@ 2012-11-11 20:29 ` Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2012-11-11 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: vincentb1, emacs-devel

Hello,

Until my latest change on the trunk, the evolution was quite
experimental and unstable. Even now I still need to make some update
(refreshing the mode line after renaming) for it to be completely finalized.

I think that before I make this public on emacs-24 I need to make this
last change + manual on trunk and then port the change to emacs-24.
Would that be ok and along agreed practices if I proceed this way.

VBR,
  Vincent.

@ 2012-11-12  1:26   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-11-12  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Belaïche; +Cc: vincentb1, emacs-devel

> I think that before I make this public on emacs-24 I need to make this last
> change + manual on trunk and then port the change to emacs-24.  Would that be
> ok and along agreed practices if I proceed this way.

To the extent that the code on emacs-24 is feature-frozen, the remaining
change had better be a clear bug-fix.

* Re: NEWS entry for ses.el changes
@ 2012-11-12  4:44 Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2012-11-12  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel, Glenn Morris

Stefan Monnier a écrit :
>> I think that before I make this public on emacs-24 I need to make this last
>> change + manual on trunk and then port the change to emacs-24.  Would that be
>> ok and along agreed practices if I proceed this way.
>
> To the extent that the code on emacs-24 is feature-frozen, the remaining
> change had better be a clear bug-fix.
>

>         Stefan

Is it a bug that the mode line is not refreshed, or is it a missing
feature ?

  Vincent.

* Re: NEWS entry for ses.el changes
@ 2012-11-12  6:01 Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2012-11-12  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel, Glenn Morris

> From: vincent.b.1@hotmail.fr
> To: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca; emacs-devel@gnu.org; rgm@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: NEWS entry for ses.el changes
> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 05:44:35 +0100
>
> Stefan Monnier a écrit :
> >> I think that before I make this public on emacs-24 I need to make this last
> >> change + manual on trunk and then port the change to emacs-24. Would that be
> >> ok and along agreed practices if I proceed this way.
> >
> > To the extent that the code on emacs-24 is feature-frozen, the remaining
> > change had better be a clear bug-fix.
> >

> > Stefan
> >

> Is it a bug that the mode line is not refreshed, or is it a missing
> feature ?
>
> Vincent.

One more thing about the ses-rename-cell, I still have one more update
to do on it: named cells in formula should not relocate. That is to say
if toto is the name of a cell, then wherever I paste cell formula `(1+
toto)' it should remain `(1+ toto)'.

Using named cell will be more convenient than (symbol-value (quote xxx))
or (ses-value xxx yyy) tricks to prevent relocation, and it has the
advantage that it keeps reference of the cell in the dependency list
which those tricks don't do.

Well, this was just to say that the feature is not yet fully mature.

   Vincent.

* Re: NEWS entry for ses.el changes
@ 2012-11-12  6:12 Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2012-11-12  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel, Glenn Morris

[...]

> > To the extent that the code on emacs-24 is feature-frozen, the remaining
> > change had better be a clear bug-fix.
> >

> > Stefan
> >

> Is it a bug that the mode line is not refreshed, or is it a missing
> feature ?
>
> Vincent.

I understand that in `*clear* bug-fix', `clear' means that you consider
it a missing feature not a bug-fix, and therefore that addition of
mode-line refresh after cell renaming should not go to
emacs-24. Correct? FYI the mode line becomes correct after you go away
from this cell and then come back again to it, so the cell indication is
false only immediately after the renaming.

But the other changes which I did on trunk only are really bug fixes,
ses-rename-cell on emacs-24 is quite a bit defunct. On the other hand,
since it is not documented neither in the manual nor in NEWS, should I
really do something ? In the latter case, I had rather port all the
changes once the feature is completely stable.

   Vincent.

* Re: NEWS entry for ses.el changes
@ 2012-11-12 14:07 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-11-12 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Belaïche; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Is it a bug that the mode line is not refreshed, or is it a missing
> feature ?

The current rule is "only patches that fix bugs which are regressions
w.r.t some earlier released Emacs not older than 23.1".