* Help debugging gnutls related issue, pls
@ 2021-06-27  7:14 Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2021-06-27  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I have recompiled master on my MacOS High Sierra today and, surprise,
surprise, I cannot load packages from elpa or melpa. I have pinned that
down to some issue with GNUTLS, because I can't access the wikipedia with
eww.

Now the problem is that I'm using the same GNUTLS library I use to compile
wget and lftp and I can

wget -O - https://wikipedia.org

Any ideas to debug this will be very welcome

TIA, /PA
Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden
Georg Kreisler

* Re: Help debugging gnutls related issue, pls
@ 2021-06-27  7:18 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-06-27  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 09:14:12 +0200
>
> I have recompiled master on my MacOS High Sierra today and, surprise, surprise, I cannot load packages
> from elpa or melpa. I have pinned that down to some issue with GNUTLS, because I can't access the
> wikipedia with eww.

What does "cannot load" and "can't access" mean?  Please provide the
details of the abnormal behavior -- error messages, error codes,
anything.  Otherwise it is very hard to give you any advice or help.

* Re: Help debugging gnutls related issue, pls
@ 2021-06-27  7:42   ` Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2021-06-27  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Eli,

"cannot access" as in stays with the message 'Loading
https://wikipedia.org/... " in the main buffer and "Contacting host
wikipedia.org:443" in the minibuffer for ever.

More things

When I do an Esc-x p-l-p to refresh the packages I get the following in the
messages
Importing package-keyring.gpg...done
error in process sentinel: Error retrieving:
https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/archive-contents (error connection-failed
"connect" :host "elpa.nongnu.org" :service 443) [2 times]
error in process sentinel: Error retrieving:
https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/archive-contents (error connection-failed
"connect" :host "elpa.gnu.org" :service 443) [2 times]

However, when I delete the $HOME/.emacs.d/elpa directory and I restart
Emacs, I get my selected packages downloaded and installed.

GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin17.7.0, NS appkit-1561.61
Version 10.13.6 (Build 17G14042))
 of 2021-06-27

What else can I do help debug this?

Best, /PA

@ 2021-06-27  8:55     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-06-27  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 09:42:51 +0200
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> "cannot access" as in stays with the message 'Loading https://wikipedia.org/... " in the main buffer and
> "Contacting host wikipedia.org:443" in the minibuffer for ever.

If you set url-debug to t and try accessing wikipedia.org again, what
do you see in the *URL-DEBUG* buffer?

* Re: Help debugging gnutls related issue, pls
@ 2021-06-27  9:22       ` Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2021-06-27  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Eli

http -> Contacting host: wikipedia.org:443
http -> Marking connection as busy: wikipedia.org:443 #<process
wikipedia.org>
http -> getting referer from buffer: buffer:#<buffer *eww*>
target-url:#s(url "https" nil nil "wikipedia.org" nil "/" nil nil t nil t
t) lastloc:nil

And there it stays...

/PA

@ 2021-06-27 10:07         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-06-27 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 11:22:55 +0200
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> http -> Contacting host: wikipedia.org:443
> http -> Marking connection as busy: wikipedia.org:443 #<process wikipedia.org>
> http -> getting referer from buffer: buffer:#<buffer *eww*> target-url:#s(url "https" nil nil "wikipedia.org" nil "/"
> nil nil t nil t t) lastloc:nil
>
> And there it stays...

And the previous version you built, which I presume did work, what was
it?  If it was also a build of the master branch, then what was the
HEAD commit, or what was the date when you updated from upstream?

* Re: Help debugging gnutls related issue, pls
@ 2021-06-27 14:19 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-06-27 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I have recompiled master on my MacOS High Sierra today and, surprise,
> surprise, I cannot load packages from elpa or melpa. I have pinned that
> down to some issue with GNUTLS, because I can't access the wikipedia with
> eww.

In case you need a workaround in the mean time, you can access
elpa.(non)gnu.org over `http` rather than `https`: assuming you have GPG
installed, the security implications aren't very scary.