* speedbar and dframe
@ 2022-01-26 21:22 Michael Leibow
From: Michael Leibow @ 2022-01-26 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

 I haven't seen any development on speedbar and dframe in many years.

Is this deprecated? Should I just use dired?

It appears that speedbar attaches to one frame at a time. This is
cumbersome when working with a large number of files in multiple
directories and multiple frames. I have to constantly close and reopen
speedbar in the current frame. I currently do this with a keyboard
macro assigned to a function key.

Please reply with recommendations:

* Should I add a timer? If speedbar's attached frame is not the
  current frame then close the speedbar frame and reopen it.

* I don't know how to do the above with a hook since the focus-in-hook
  is called recursively if a frame is deleted, and also because the
  focus-in-hook is not called when switching frames using the keyboard
  'C-x 5 o

* change speedbar and dframe to use an alist of associated frames and
  attached frames?

    --Moof

* Re: speedbar and dframe
@ 2022-01-27  0:59 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-01-27  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Leibow; +Cc: emacs-devel

Michael Leibow <moof@camooflage.com> writes:

> I haven't seen any development on speedbar and dframe in many years.
>
> Is this deprecated? Should I just use dired?

No, I use speedbar daily.  It just hasn't seen a lot of work, due to
lack of interest, like the rest of CEDET, but it works reasonably well.

> It appears that speedbar attaches to one frame at a time. This is
> cumbersome when working with a large number of files in multiple
> directories and multiple frames. I have to constantly close and reopen
> speedbar in the current frame. I currently do this with a keyboard
> macro assigned to a function key.

I don't utilize multiple frames much, so unfortunately I don't have
recommendations here.

Thanks.

* Re: speedbar and dframe
@ 2022-01-27  5:58 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-01-27  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Leibow; +Cc: emacs-devel

>  I haven't seen any development on speedbar and dframe in many years.
> Is this deprecated?

I don't think so, no.  But it does need love, indeed.  Maybe you could
take the lead on some improvements?