* (emacs)Log Buffer
@ 2005-06-04  2:38 Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2005-06-04  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Nick Roberts

`(emacs)Log Buffer' contains:

     Sometimes the `*VC-Log*' buffer contains default text when you enter
  it, typically the last log message entered.  If it does, mark and point
  are set around the entire contents of the buffer so that it is easy to
  kill the contents of the buffer with `C-w'.

Is this really true with the default settings?  I have never seen it,
not using Emacs CVS and not using RCS.  Or is this only true when
vc-delete-logbuf-window is nil?  (The default is t.)  If the latter,
the mark and point stuff could be better mentioned in the docstring
of that option and the above paragraph deleted from the Emacs manual.

Sincerely,

Luc.

* (emacs)Log Buffer
@ 2005-06-04  3:31 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2005-06-04  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

 > `(emacs)Log Buffer' contains:
 >
 >      Sometimes the `*VC-Log*' buffer contains default text when you enter
 >   it, typically the last log message entered.  If it does, mark and point
 >   are set around the entire contents of the buffer so that it is easy to
 >   kill the contents of the buffer with `C-w'.
 >
 > Is this really true with the default settings?  I have never seen it,
 > not using Emacs CVS and not using RCS.  Or is this only true when
 > vc-delete-logbuf-window is nil?  (The default is t.)  If the latter,
 > the mark and point stuff could be better mentioned in the docstring
 > of that option and the above paragraph deleted from the Emacs manual.

I don't know when its true.  I copied this paragraph from the node
"Log Edit Mode" in pcl-cvs.texi.  I would guess that Stefan is the original
author.  If you change it in emacs.tex, you also need to change it in
pcl-cvs.texi (assuming its wrong: its always hard to know if something
is _sometimes_ true or not).

Nick

* Re: (emacs)Log Buffer
@ 2005-06-04 16:39 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-06-04 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Nick Roberts, emacs-devel

> `(emacs)Log Buffer' contains:
>      Sometimes the `*VC-Log*' buffer contains default text when you enter
>   it, typically the last log message entered.  If it does, mark and point
>   are set around the entire contents of the buffer so that it is easy to
>   kill the contents of the buffer with `C-w'.

> Is this really true with the default settings?

It should.  If not, it's a bug.

> I have never seen it,
> not using Emacs CVS and not using RCS.  Or is this only true when
> vc-delete-logbuf-window is nil?

This option is completely unrelated.

* Re: (emacs)Log Buffer
@ 2005-06-04 16:47   ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2005-06-04 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: nickrob, emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   > `(emacs)Log Buffer' contains:
   >      Sometimes the `*VC-Log*' buffer contains default text when you enter
   >   it, typically the last log message entered.  If it does, mark and point
   >   are set around the entire contents of the buffer so that it is easy to
   >   kill the contents of the buffer with `C-w'.

   > Is this really true with the default settings?

   It should.  If not, it's a bug.

Maybe my question was somewhat ambiguous.  It concerned the first
sentence, not the second.  When is the `*VC-Log*' buffer supposed to
contain default text when you enter it, if you are not using pcl-cvs
and all settings are at default?

Sincerely,

Luc.

* Re: (emacs)Log Buffer
@ 2005-06-04 23:51     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-06-04 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: nickrob, emacs-devel

>> Sometimes the `*VC-Log*' buffer contains default text when you enter
>> it, typically the last log message entered.  If it does, mark and point
>> are set around the entire contents of the buffer so that it is easy to
>> kill the contents of the buffer with `C-w'.

>> Is this really true with the default settings?

>    It should.  If not, it's a bug.

> Maybe my question was somewhat ambiguous.  It concerned the first
> sentence, not the second.  When is the `*VC-Log*' buffer supposed to
> contain default text when you enter it, if you are not using pcl-cvs
> and all settings are at default?

Maybe you're right that it never happens with default settings if you don't
use PCL-CVS, but I'm not sure if it's relevant.  Should the documentation
not talk about things that happen if you use PCL-CVS or if you change some
custom settings?

* Re: (emacs)Log Buffer
@ 2005-06-07  2:18       ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2005-06-07  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: nickrob, emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   Maybe you're right that it never happens with default settings if you don't
   use PCL-CVS, but I'm not sure if it's relevant.  Should the documentation
   not talk about things that happen if you use PCL-CVS or if you change some
   custom settings?

The PCL-CVS manual should talk about what happens if you use PCL-CVS.
The section in the Emacs manual documents VC with here and there some
xref's to the PCL-CVS manual.

As another remark on the recent changes in that node, the way C-c C-f
is explained is confusing to the user, because at that stage nothing
tells you how you could possibly commit more than one file at a time
and it is only explained later in the more specialized sections on VC
Dired.  I propose to add some explanation.

The two changes in the patch to files.texi are independent.  I could
install either or both.

===File ~/files.texi-diff===================================
*** files.texi	26 May 2005 21:44:35 -0500	1.107
--- files.texi	06 Jun 2005 20:44:33 -0500
***************
*** 1527,1537 ****
    When you check in changes, @kbd{C-x v v} first reads a log entry.  It
  pops up a buffer called @samp{*VC-Log*} for you to enter the log entry.

- Sometimes the @samp{*VC-Log*} buffer contains default text when you enter it,
- typically the last log message entered.  If it does, mark and point
- are set around the entire contents of the buffer so that it is easy to
- kill the contents of the buffer with @kbd{C-w}.
-
  @findex log-edit-insert-changelog
  If you work by writing entries in the @file{ChangeLog}
  (@pxref{Change Log}) and then commit the change under revision
--- 1527,1532 ----
***************
*** 1545,1551 ****

  In the @samp{*VC-Log*} buffer, @kbd{C-c C-f} (@kbd{M-x log-edit-show-files})
  shows the list of files to be committed in case you need to check
! that.

  When you have finished editing the log message, type @kbd{C-c C-c} to
  exit the buffer and commit the change.
--- 1540,1548 ----

  In the @samp{*VC-Log*} buffer, @kbd{C-c C-f} (@kbd{M-x log-edit-show-files})
  shows the list of files to be committed in case you need to check
! that.  (This can be a list of more than one file if you use VC Dired
! mode or PCL-CVS.  @xref{VC Dired Mode}, and @ref{Top, , About PCL-CVS,
! pcl-cvs, PCL-CVS --- The Emacs Front-End to CVS}.)

@ 2005-06-08 12:01         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-06-08 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: nickrob, monnier, emacs-devel

    The two changes in the patch to files.texi are independent.  I could
    install either or both.

Please install only the second.