* Profiling emacs.
@ 2009-03-25 16:09 A. Soare
From: A. Soare @ 2009-03-25 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

Today I tried to compile Emacs including the profiler like so:

CFLAGS=-pg LDFLAGS=-pg ./configure --without-x && make

Emacs creates a profile

However, when I run ./emacs -Q it creates the same gmon.out at all the times, even if I run and make something in emacs a few seconds or 1 minute.

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4625 2009-03-25 11:45 gmon.out

Running
gprof emacs gmon.out | less

it shows just help information, nothing about the symbols of emacs.

Could you help me with some idea how to compile emacs includin the profiler?

L’inoubliable Alain Bashung est à l’écoute sur Musiline Voila !  http://musiline.voila.fr/player/createtag/935908?creationtype=3

* Re: Profiling emacs.
@ 2009-03-25 16:43 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-03-25 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "A. Soare" <alinsoar@voila.fr>
> Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:09:38 +0100 (CET)
>
> Today I tried to compile Emacs including the profiler like so:
>
> CFLAGS=-pg LDFLAGS=-pg ./configure --without-x && make
>
> Emacs creates a profile
>
> However, when I run ./emacs -Q it creates the same gmon.out at all the times, even if I run and make something in emacs a few seconds or 1 minute.
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4625 2009-03-25 11:45 gmon.out
>
> Running
> gprof emacs gmon.out | less
>
> it shows just help information, nothing about the symbols of emacs.
>
> Could you help me with some idea how to compile emacs includin the profiler?

This is a commentary from emacs.c:

  /* Set up for profiling.  This is known to work on FreeBSD,
     GNU/Linux and MinGW.  It might work on some other systems too.
     Give it a try and tell us if it works on your system.  To compile
     for profiling, add -pg to the switches your platform uses in
     CFLAGS and LDFLAGS.  For example:
       `make CFLAGS="-pg -g -O -DPROFILING=1" LDFLAGS="-pg -g"'.  */

* Re: Profiling emacs.
@ 2009-03-25 17:03   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-03-25 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: alinsoar, emacs-devel

>> Today I tried to compile Emacs including the profiler like so:
>>
>> CFLAGS=-pg LDFLAGS=-pg ./configure --without-x && make
>>
>> Emacs creates a profile
>>
>> However, when I run ./emacs -Q it creates the same gmon.out at all the times, even if I run and make something in emacs a few seconds or 1 minute.
>>
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4625 2009-03-25 11:45 gmon.out
>>
>> Running
>> gprof emacs gmon.out | less
>>
>> it shows just help information, nothing about the symbols of emacs.
>>
>> Could you help me with some idea how to compile emacs includin the profiler?

> This is a commentary from emacs.c:

>   /* Set up for profiling.  This is known to work on FreeBSD,
>      GNU/Linux and MinGW.  It might work on some other systems too.
>      Give it a try and tell us if it works on your system.  To compile
>      for profiling, add -pg to the switches your platform uses in
>      CFLAGS and LDFLAGS.  For example:
>        `make CFLAGS="-pg -g -O -DPROFILING=1" LDFLAGS="-pg -g"'.  */

Yes, IIRC the -DPROFILING is the important one, otherwise only temacs
is profiled.

* Re: Profiling emacs.
@ 2009-03-25 21:04 A. Soare
From: A. Soare @ 2009-03-25 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

>        `make CFLAGS="-pg -g -O -DPROFILING=1" LDFLAGS="-pg -g"'.  */
>
> Yes, IIRC the -DPROFILING is the important one, otherwise only temacs
> is profiled.

Thanks. The profiler works now nice.