* merging revisions into emacs24 from trunk
@ 2014-11-06 14:49 Kelvin White
From: Kelvin White @ 2014-11-06 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs development discussions

Could someone point me in the right direction regarding
documentation or instruction on the correct way to merge
revisions from trunk into emacs-24 branch?

Thanks in advance

* Re: merging revisions into emacs24 from trunk
@ 2014-11-06 16:32 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-11-06 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kelvin White; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 09:49:03 -0500
> From: Kelvin White <kwhite@gnu.org>
>
> Could someone point me in the right direction regarding
> documentation or instruction on the correct way to merge
> revisions from trunk into emacs-24 branch?

Take a look at admin/bzrmerge.el and respective notes in
admin/notes/repo.

* Re: merging revisions into emacs24 from trunk
@ 2014-11-06 16:34 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-11-06 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kelvin White; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 09:49:03 -0500
> From: Kelvin White <kwhite@gnu.org>
>
> Could someone point me in the right direction regarding
> documentation or instruction on the correct way to merge
> revisions from trunk into emacs-24 branch?

Sorry, my previous reply was wrong; please ignore it.

Are you asking how to cherry-pick using bzr?  Because that's what you
need to do: cherry-pick the commits you want, then commit.  See
admin/notes/repo under 'Backporting a bug-fix from the trunk to a
branch (e.g. "emacs-24")'.

* Re: merging revisions into emacs24 from trunk
@ 2014-11-06 16:46 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-11-06 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kelvin White; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

> Could someone point me in the right direction regarding
> documentation or instruction on the correct way to merge
> revisions from trunk into emacs-24 branch?

Just somehow get the change you want to backport (e.g. "bzr diff .. | patch"
or "bzr merge -r NN..MM" or even by hand) and commit it.  It's that simple.
The only trick is that the commit message should include the key word
"backport" somewhere so that bzrmerge.el will know to skip it to avoid
spurious merge conflicts when we try to merge emacs-24 back into trunk.

* Re: merging revisions into emacs24 from trunk
@ 2014-11-06 17:28   ` Kelvin White
From: Kelvin White @ 2014-11-06 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

> Just somehow get the change you want to backport (e.g. "bzr diff .. | patch"
> or "bzr merge -r NN..MM" or even by hand) and commit it.  It's that simple.
> The only trick is that the commit message should include the key word
> "backport" somewhere so that bzrmerge.el will know to skip it to avoid
> spurious merge conflicts when we try to merge emacs-24 back into trunk.

I imagined it would be simple just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.
I tried the latter and had many conflicts, so I created a patch with bzr diff.
I will commit it shortly, thanks.