* Columns and proportional fonts (was: bug#19872: 24.4; UTF8 characters of unusual width (Gnus markers))
       [not found]                     ` <831tlm3snc.fsf@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-02-19 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: sva-news, larsi, emacs-devel

> I agree in general, but cannot see why this particular case couldn't
> be resolved reasonably well, e.g. by adding one more column "just in
> case", before the :align-to property.

In mpc.el I list the current songs with various of their info (duration,
title, artist, ...) in columns, so I have the same problem there.

I use truncate-string-to-width and do keep one extra column, but it's
not always sufficient to avoid misalignment when the proportional font
has some "very wide" chars.  Also, I suffer from the reverse problem,
that for columns where the text contains lots of narrow chars,
truncate-string-to-width ends up being pessimistic, which is less
harmful but wastes valuable screen estate and looks weird.

My understanding of the redisplay engine makes me believe that
a `:truncate-at' display property (and/or
a combined :truncate-at-or-align-to) should be doable with good
efficiency without too much extra gymnastics.
And no, sorry, I'm not volunteering to implement it.

* Re: Columns and proportional fonts
@ 2015-02-19 17:37                         ` Ivan Shmakov
From: Ivan Shmakov @ 2015-02-19 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

[…]

 > My understanding of the redisplay engine makes me believe that a
 > `:truncate-at' display property (and/or a combined
 > :truncate-at-or-align-to) should be doable with good efficiency
 > without too much extra gymnastics.  And no, sorry, I'm not
 > volunteering to implement it.

	Could you please file the respective bug report?  No promises,
	but I hope to give :wrap-column (#19661) a try, and I guess that
	:truncate-at wouldn’t be all that faraway from there.

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A

* Re: Columns and proportional fonts
@ 2015-02-19 18:09                           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-02-19 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Shmakov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Ivan Shmakov <ivan@siamics.net>
> Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 17:37:40 +0000
>
> 	Could you please file the respective bug report?  No promises,
> 	but I hope to give :wrap-column (#19661) a try, and I guess that
> 	:truncate-at wouldn’t be all that faraway from there.

I think :truncate-at will be way simpler to implement than
:wrap-column.

* Re: Columns and proportional fonts
@ 2015-02-19 18:41                           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-02-19 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> 	Could you please file the respective bug report?

Done,