* Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/so-long d216f81: fixup! Add so-long library
       [not found] ` <20190414125502.AB90320536@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2019-04-14 15:03   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-04-14 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Phil Sainty

> +(defun turn-on-so-long-minor-mode ()
> +  "Enable minor mode `so-long-minor-mode'."
> +  (so-long-minor-mode 1))

You don't need to pass `1`, so you could also write:

    (defalias 'turn-on-so-long-minor-mode #'so-long-minor-mode)

or just don't define turn-on-so-long-minor-mode at all, which is what
I recommend.

> +(defun turn-off-so-long-minor-mode ()
> +  "Disable minor mode `so-long-minor-mode'."
> +  (so-long-minor-mode -1))

I also recommend not to bother defining the turn-off function and let
users call (so-long-minor-mode -1) for the few cases where they might
need it.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/so-long d216f81: fixup! Add so-long library
@ 2019-04-14 22:24     ` Phil Sainty
From: Phil Sainty @ 2019-04-14 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2019-04-15 03:03, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> or just don't define turn-on-so-long-minor-mode at all, which is what
> I recommend.

> I also recommend not to bother defining the turn-off function and let
> users call (so-long-minor-mode -1) for the few cases where they might
> need it.

The actual reason for defining these functions is for the associated
so-long-action-alist entry:

     (so-long-minor-mode
      "Enable so-long-minor-mode"
      turn-on-so-long-minor-mode
      turn-off-so-long-minor-mode)

This kept things nice and simple.

We could get away without the turn-on function, but I felt the resulting
lack of symmetry would be strange, so opted to have them both.

-Phil

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/so-long d216f81: fixup! Add so-long library
@ 2019-04-15 11:55       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-04-15 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Sainty; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> or just don't define turn-on-so-long-minor-mode at all, which is what
>> I recommend.
>> I also recommend not to bother defining the turn-off function and let
>> users call (so-long-minor-mode -1) for the few cases where they might
>> need it.
> The actual reason for defining these functions is for the associated
> so-long-action-alist entry:
>
>     (so-long-minor-mode
>      "Enable so-long-minor-mode"
>      turn-on-so-long-minor-mode
>      turn-off-so-long-minor-mode)

BTW: How 'bout making this alist accept elements of the form
(<minor-mode> "description")?

Being a minor mode means you know how to gets its current status, how to
turn it on and how to turn it off, so you can standardize the treatment
you did for longlines-mode.