* Confusion about new format of ELPA repo
@ 2020-12-09 19:51 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-12-09 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'm trying to release some updates to my org-translate package, which is
developed in ELPA itself. It is not an external (has an :external nil
key in the externals-list file). The entire "packages" subdirectory is
now ignored by .gitignore, meaning I would need to force-add changes to
this file. Maybe each package is now meant to be worked on in a separate
branch? But the .gitignore problem is still there.

Before I go screw something up -- how are we meant to work around
gitignore?

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: Confusion about new format of ELPA repo
@ 2020-12-09 20:39 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-12-09 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Maybe each package is now meant to be worked on in a separate branch?

Yes, every package in ELPA is now on its own branch, and only the files
from that package is present in that branch.  To take an example at
random:

larsi@xo:~/src/emacs/elpa$ git checkout externals/ack
Branch 'externals/ack' set up to track remote branch 'externals/ack' from 'origin'.
Switched to a new branch 'externals/ack'
larsi@xo:~/src/emacs/elpa$ ls
ack.el  csv-mode.elc  packages  pcmpl-ack.el  README.rst

If you have an ELPA checkout from before the structure was changed, it's
perhaps best to do a fresh checkout now to get rid of a bunch of
artefacts from the old layout.

* Re: Confusion about new format of ELPA repo
@ 2020-12-09 20:44   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-12-09 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> larsi@xo:~/src/emacs/elpa$ git checkout externals/ack
> Branch 'externals/ack' set up to track remote branch 'externals/ack'
> from 'origin'.
> Switched to a new branch 'externals/ack'
> larsi@xo:~/src/emacs/elpa$ ls
> ack.el  csv-mode.elc  packages  pcmpl-ack.el  README.rst
>
> If you have an ELPA checkout from before the structure was changed, it's
> perhaps best to do a fresh checkout now to get rid of a bunch of
> artefacts from the old layout.

Heh, I should have followed my own advice.  This is what's it's supposed
to look like:

larsi@xo:~/src/emacs/elpa$ git checkout externals/ack
Branch 'externals/ack' set up to track remote branch 'externals/ack' from 'origin'.
Switched to a new branch 'externals/ack'
larsi@xo:~/src/emacs/elpa$ ls
ack.el  pcmpl-ack.el  README.rst

* Re: Confusion about new format of ELPA repo
@ 2020-12-09 21:06     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-12-09 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> larsi@xo:~/src/emacs/elpa$ git checkout externals/ack
>> Branch 'externals/ack' set up to track remote branch 'externals/ack'
>> from 'origin'.
>> Switched to a new branch 'externals/ack'
>> larsi@xo:~/src/emacs/elpa$ ls
>> ack.el  csv-mode.elc  packages  pcmpl-ack.el  README.rst
>>
>> If you have an ELPA checkout from before the structure was changed, it's
>> perhaps best to do a fresh checkout now to get rid of a bunch of
>> artefacts from the old layout.
>
> Heh, I should have followed my own advice.  This is what's it's supposed
> to look like:
>
> larsi@xo:~/src/emacs/elpa$ git checkout externals/ack
> Branch 'externals/ack' set up to track remote branch 'externals/ack' from 'origin'.
> Switched to a new branch 'externals/ack'
> larsi@xo:~/src/emacs/elpa$ ls
> ack.el  pcmpl-ack.el  README.rst

Aha, got it. I'm running a "git fetch" that looks like it's going to
take a while, so I'll see what the new landscape looks like after lunch.
Thanks for the explanation.

* Re: Confusion about new format of ELPA repo
@ 2020-12-09 21:07   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-12-09 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, emacs-devel

> larsi@xo:~/src/emacs/elpa$ git checkout externals/ack

I recommend using worktrees as in:

    git worktree add packages/ack externals/ack
or
    make externals

which will create all the worktrees for all the packages.

Real soon now you should also be able to just say

    make packages/ack

in order to setup that worktree.

* Re: Confusion about new format of ELPA repo
@ 2020-12-09 21:20       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-12-09 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Aha, got it. I'm running a "git fetch" that looks like it's going to
> take a while, so I'll see what the new landscape looks like after lunch.
> Thanks for the explanation.

You can also do:

   git clone --single-branch -b externals/ack .../elpa.git

which should only download the data for that branch.

* Re: Confusion about new format of ELPA repo
@ 2020-12-10  1:29         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-12-10  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> Aha, got it. I'm running a "git fetch" that looks like it's going to
>> take a while, so I'll see what the new landscape looks like after lunch.
>> Thanks for the explanation.
>
> You can also do:
>
>    git clone --single-branch -b externals/ack .../elpa.git
>
> which should only download the data for that branch.

Well I have several packages to work on, and had a long lunch to get
through, so I brought the whole thing down. This works nicely! I've
never done worktree-inside-a-repo before, but all the tooling handles it
well, and I didn't even have to change my load-path additions.

@ 2020-12-10 15:50           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-12-10 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> You can also do:
>>    git clone --single-branch -b externals/ack .../elpa.git
>> which should only download the data for that branch.
> Well I have several packages to work on,

[ I pointed it out for completeness's sake, and for the benefit of
  others, really.  ]

> and had a long lunch to get through, so I brought the whole thing
> down.  This works nicely!  I've never done worktree-inside-a-repo
> before, but all the tooling handles it well, and I didn't even have to
> change my load-path additions.

Very nice to hear, thank you,

* Re: Confusion about new format of ELPA repo
@ 2020-12-11 14:28     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-12-11 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, emacs-devel

> I recommend using worktrees as in:
>
>     git worktree add packages/ack externals/ack
> or
>     make externals
>
> which will create all the worktrees for all the packages.

Oh, that's very nice; thanks.  Having all the ELPA packages available at
the same time is a lot more convenient than switching branches all the
time.

* Re: Confusion about new format of ELPA repo
@ 2020-12-11 15:04       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-12-11 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, emacs-devel

> Oh, that's very nice; thanks.  Having all the ELPA packages available
> at the same time is a lot more convenient than switching branches all
> the time.

It took me a while to start using Bazaar's lightweight branches, but
it's one thing Bazaar got right.

I never use Git's model of one worktree in which you frequently switch
from branch to branch, I instead almost always have a few worktrees in
sibling directories.

* Re: Confusion about new format of ELPA repo
@ 2020-12-12  5:33       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2020-12-12  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: eric, monnier, emacs-devel

Is it possible that the documentation for this format, and how to use it,
could use improvement?

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Confusion about new format of ELPA repo
@ 2020-12-12 13:40         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-12-12 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: eric, Lars Ingebrigtsen, emacs-devel

> Is it possible that the documentation for this format, and how to use it,
> could use improvement?

And here I was, thinking you didn't like euphemisms?

* Re: Confusion about new format of ELPA repo
@ 2020-12-13  5:00           ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2020-12-13  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: eric, larsi, emacs-devel

  > > Is it possible that the documentation for this format, and how to use it,
  > > could use improvement?

  > And here I was, thinking you didn't like euphemisms?

It's not a euphemism, but I did mean it to be very general
and not assume anything about the situation.
I don't know what documentation we have for that format
so I don't know how much, or what kind, of change is called for.

What I did know is that people were talking about dealing with
some kind of inadequacy in it, so I figured that the discussion should
include the possibility of improving that documentation.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Confusion about new format of ELPA repo
@ 2020-12-13  5:14             ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-12-13  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: eric, larsi, emacs-devel

>   > > Is it possible that the documentation for this format, and how to use it,
>   > > could use improvement?
>
>   > And here I was, thinking you didn't like euphemisms?
>
> It's not a euphemism, but I did mean it to be very general

Oh, well.  I thought you were being facetious, because, yes, it is in
dire need of improvement, because the way it works has changed
significantly and the doc is a fair bit behind.