* startup-screen-inhibit-startup-screen button
@ 2011-05-23 20:34 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-05-23 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I find the following slightly confusing, but am not sure how best to
improve it:

Our startup message ends with

  "Dismiss this startup screen   <box> Never show it again"

And the way to dismiss it for good is to click in the box and then click
o the "Dismiss" thing that looks like a link.

Now, if I click in the box but don't click on the "Dismiss"
(e.g. I leave by hitting `q' or by selecting something else) nothing
happens, even though it seems clear that the user probably intended to
save the "never show it again" preference.

The link between the box button and the "Dismiss" link is reminiscent of
common UI dialogs with "don't show this again" box and an
"exit/ok/confirm" button, but I don't think it's close enough to work
well: our startup screen is not a dialog box, and the "Dismiss" link is
not very much like an "ok/exit/confirm" button.

* RE: startup-screen-inhibit-startup-screen button
@ 2011-05-23 20:52 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-05-23 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Stefan Monnier', emacs-devel

> The link between the box button and the "Dismiss" link is
> reminiscent of
> common UI dialogs with "don't show this again" box and an
> "exit/ok/confirm" button, but I don't think it's close enough to work
> well: our startup screen is not a dialog box, and the
> "Dismiss" link is
> not very much like an "ok/exit/confirm" button.

Provide two different links: (1) dismiss, (2) dismiss & never show again.  Or
some such.  Only one click needed in either case (vs two now, to check box and
dismiss).

* Re: startup-screen-inhibit-startup-screen button
@ 2011-05-23 21:23   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2011-05-23 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 10:52 PM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>> The link between the box button and the "Dismiss" link is
>> reminiscent of
>> common UI dialogs with "don't show this again" box and an
>> "exit/ok/confirm" button, but I don't think it's close enough to work
>> well: our startup screen is not a dialog box, and the
>> "Dismiss" link is
>> not very much like an "ok/exit/confirm" button.
>
> Provide two different links: (1) dismiss, (2) dismiss & never show again.  Or
> some such.  Only one click needed in either case (vs two now, to check box and
> dismiss).

And use button face for both "links".

* Re: startup-screen-inhibit-startup-screen button
@ 2011-05-24  0:57     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-05-24  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Drew Adams, emacs-devel

>> Provide two different links: (1) dismiss, (2) dismiss & never show
>> again.  Or some such.  Only one click needed in either case (vs two
>> now, to check box and dismiss).
> And use button face for both "links".

Sounds like a good idea to me.  Could someone do the dirty work for me?

* Re: startup-screen-inhibit-startup-screen button
@ 2011-05-27  3:58       ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-05-27  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Lennart Borgman, Drew Adams, emacs-devel

>>> Provide two different links: (1) dismiss, (2) dismiss & never show
>>> again.  Or some such.  Only one click needed in either case (vs two
>>> now, to check box and dismiss).
>> And use button face for both "links".
>
> Sounds like a good idea to me.  Could someone do the dirty work for
> me?

Actually, how bout removing the "dismiss" button, and immediately
writing the customization when checking/unchecking the button?  This
kind of immediate effect is where most applications are headed these
days, so it would be what new users expect.