* fold-dwim development
@ 2017-01-20 18:12 Ingo Lohmar
From: Ingo Lohmar @ 2017-01-20 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi All,

This may not be the best place to ask, but I wanted to check here before
sending personal mails: The package 'fold-dwim' (very nice, IMO) is
available on melpa

https://github.com/melpa/melpa/blob/master/recipes/fold-dwim

, which fetches it from the 'emacsmirror' repo
on github.

Is there any standard procedure to contribute?  I have an implementation
of a small "TODO" line in fold-dwim.el, but I am unsure about pull
requests on emacsmirror --- mostly because there are none :)

Thanks for any pointers.

Ingo

* Re: fold-dwim development
@ 2017-01-20 21:21 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2017-01-20 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Lohmar; +Cc: emacs-devel

IL> Is there any standard procedure to contribute? I have an implementation of
IL> a small "TODO" line in fold-dwim.el, but I am unsure about pull requests
IL> on emacsmirror --- mostly because there are none :)

You would need to track down the original author and submit a bug report to
him directly.

* Re: fold-dwim development
@ 2017-01-20 21:43   ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-01-20 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Lohmar, emacs-devel; +Cc: jonas

Looks like Jonas (tarsius) is manually maintaining it as the original
author has probably abandoned this package?

Because why would this package live on emacsmirror otherwise?

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 4:20 PM John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> wrote:

> IL> Is there any standard procedure to contribute? I have an
> implementation of
> IL> a small "TODO" line in fold-dwim.el, but I am unsure about pull
> requests
> IL> on emacsmirror --- mostly because there are none :)
>
> You would need to track down the original author and submit a bug report to
> him directly.
>
> --

Kaushal Modi

* Re: fold-dwim development
@ 2017-01-20 22:00     ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2017-01-20 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: jonas, Ingo Lohmar, emacs-devel

KM> Looks like Jonas (tarsius) is manually maintaining it as the original
KM> author has probably abandoned this package?

KM> Because why would this package live on emacsmirror otherwise?

He mirrors every package he can; it's not a commitment on his part to
maintain, or volunteer to maintain, abandoned packages that he happens to
mirror.

* Re: fold-dwim development
@ 2017-01-20 22:03       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-01-20 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> He mirrors every package he can; it's not a commitment on his part to
> maintain, or volunteer to maintain, abandoned packages that he happens
> to mirror.

BTW, we generally welcome new packages in elpa.git.
Just saying,

* Re: fold-dwim development
@ 2017-03-13 19:55         ` Ingo Lohmar
From: Ingo Lohmar @ 2017-03-13 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, Jan 20 2017 17:03 (-0500), Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> He mirrors every package he can; it's not a commitment on his part to
>> maintain, or volunteer to maintain, abandoned packages that he happens
>> to mirror.
>
> BTW, we generally welcome new packages in elpa.git.
> Just saying,
>

>         Stefan

I have never heard back from the original author, and I do not want to
volunteer to maintain the package (much less a fork).  Any other
options?  Otherwise I will just keep the patch private... :/

Ingo