* [NonGNU ELPA] Error during "make sync/highlight-parentheses"
@ 2021-08-16 11:20 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2021-08-16 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Stefan Monnier

Hi Stefan & all,

I've just fixed a bug in the highlight-parentheses repository,
incremented the Version number, and wanted to trigger an update for the
NonGNU ELPA package by running "make sync/highlight-parentheses".
Thereby, I got the following errors (the "fatal: not a valid object
name" occurrences):

$ make sync/highlight-parentheses
emacs --batch -Q -l admin/elpa-admin.el \
         -f elpaa-batch-pkg-spec-make-dependencies .pkg-descs.mk
emacs --batch -l admin/elpa-admin.el -f elpaa-batch-fetch-and-push "highlight-parentheses"
Fetching updates for highlight-parentheses...
From https://git.sr.ht/~tsdh/highlight-parentheses.el
   b335e9e4a8..8d43acc799  main       -> upstream/highlight-parentheses/main
fatal: Not a valid object name refs/remotes/origin/elpa/highlight-parentheses
fatal: Not a valid object name refs/remotes/origin/elpa/highlight-parentheses
8d43acc799  tsdh@gnu.org      Release version 2.0.4
d27ba136fd  tsdh@gnu.org      Fix #3: highlight also if nothing but the face is defined
c6c29b8ec4  tsdh@gnu.org      Make preamble in highlight-parentheses.el match LICENSE
b335e9e4a8  tsdh@gnu.org      Don't exclude README.md from ELPA package
[... snip: all commits since the beginning ...]

Pushed highlight-parentheses successfully:
fatal: Not a valid object name refs/remotes/origin/elpa/highlight-parentheses
fatal: Not a valid object name refs/remotes/origin/elpa/highlight-parentheses
remote: Sending notification emails to: emacs-elpa-diffs@gnu.org
To git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs/nongnu.git
   c6c29b8ec4..8d43acc799  upstream/highlight-parentheses/main -> elpa/highlight-parentheses

Updating worktree in "/home/horn/Repos/el/nongnu-elpa/packages/highlight-parentheses/"
Updated highlight-parentheses:
Branch 'elpa/highlight-parentheses' set up to track remote branch 'elpa/highlight-parentheses' from 'origin'.
Updating b335e9e4a8..8d43acc799
Fast-forward
 highlight-parentheses.el | 9 +++++++--

Only the two commits d27ba136fd and 8d43acc799 are actually new but it
listed all commits since its the initial one (the [ ... snip...] above).

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: [NonGNU ELPA] Error during "make sync/highlight-parentheses"
@ 2021-08-16 14:22 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-08-16 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-devel

Tassilo Horn [2021-08-16 13:20:49] wrote:
> I've just fixed a bug in the highlight-parentheses repository,
> incremented the Version number, and wanted to trigger an update for the
> NonGNU ELPA package by running "make sync/highlight-parentheses".
> Thereby, I got the following errors (the "fatal: not a valid object
> name" occurrences):

These are harmless messages, actually.

> Only the two commits d27ba136fd and 8d43acc799 are actually new but it
> listed all commits since its the initial one (the [ ... snip...] above).

The list is relative to what you have/had in your local repository.
Note that NonGNU packages are all auto-sync'd so you don't need to `make
sync/<foo>` for them.

* Re: [NonGNU ELPA] Error during "make sync/highlight-parentheses"
@ 2021-08-16 18:47   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2021-08-16 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Tassilo Horn [2021-08-16 13:20:49] wrote:
>> I've just fixed a bug in the highlight-parentheses repository,
>> incremented the Version number, and wanted to trigger an update for the
>> NonGNU ELPA package by running "make sync/highlight-parentheses".
>> Thereby, I got the following errors (the "fatal: not a valid object
>> name" occurrences):
>
> These are harmless messages, actually.

Allright then.  Fatal errors from git make me a bit nervous. ;-)

>> Only the two commits d27ba136fd and 8d43acc799 are actually new but
>> it listed all commits since its the initial one (the [ ... snip...]
>> above).
>
> The list is relative to what you have/had in your local repository.

Hm, ok.  But I'm pretty sure I've seen that list (without the two most
recent commits) yesterday when I've added the upstream repo to
elpa-packages and ran "make packages/highlight-parentheses" so I assumed
it must already know those commits.

> Note that NonGNU packages are all auto-sync'd so you don't need to
> `make sync/<foo>` for them.

Ah, very good.

@ 2021-08-16 20:44     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-08-16 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-devel

Tassilo Horn [2021-08-16 20:47:52] wrote:
>> Tassilo Horn [2021-08-16 13:20:49] wrote:
>>> I've just fixed a bug in the highlight-parentheses repository,
>>> incremented the Version number, and wanted to trigger an update for the
>>> NonGNU ELPA package by running "make sync/highlight-parentheses".
>>> Thereby, I got the following errors (the "fatal: not a valid object
>>> name" occurrences):
>>
>> These are harmless messages, actually.
>
> Allright then.  Fatal errors from git make me a bit nervous. ;-)

IIRC they're fatal errors about separate runs of Git because we try
a few Git commands depending on which branch is available (there are
2 remote branches: the upstream branch and the nongnu.git branch, both
of which may be absent at the beginning).

Set `debug` to t in `elpa-config` if you want to see more details (but
presumably the `sync` will have changed your local Git repository enough
that you won't see these arrors any more, so to reproduce them you'd
have to `rm -rf packages/highlght-parentheses` as well as remove the two
remote branches, ...).

>>> Only the two commits d27ba136fd and 8d43acc799 are actually new but
>>> it listed all commits since its the initial one (the [ ... snip...]
>>> above).
>> The list is relative to what you have/had in your local repository.
> Hm, ok.  But I'm pretty sure I've seen that list (without the two most
> recent commits) yesterday when I've added the upstream repo to
> elpa-packages and ran "make packages/highlight-parentheses" so I assumed
> it must already know those commits.

IIRC the list you see is not the list that was just fetched but the set
of commits still missing from `origin/elpa/highlight-parentheses`, so it
may just reflect the fact that you had not yet done a `git fetch origin`.