* Memory Pool System (MPS)
@ 2024-02-22 13:57 Gerd Möllmann
From: Gerd Möllmann @ 2024-02-22 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

A week or two ago, I stumbled over MPS again, after a long time:

  https://github.com/Ravenbrook/mps
  https://memory-pool-system.readthedocs.io

  1. Overview of the Memory Pool System

  The Memory Pool System is a very general, adaptable, flexible, reliable,
  and efficient memory management system. It permits the flexible
  combination of memory management techniques, supporting manual and
  automatic memory management, inline allocation, finalization, weakness,
  and multiple concurrent co-operating incremental generational garbage
  collections. It also includes a library of memory pool classes
  implementing specialized memory management policies.

  The MPS has been in development since 1994 and deployed in successful
  commercial products since 1997. Bugs are almost unknown in production.
  It is under continuous development and support by Ravenbrook.

  The MPS is distributed under the BSD 2-clause open source license.

IMHO, from reading the MPL docs, it appears it should be possible to use
MPL with Emacs. Also, some interesting projects are using it, AFAICT.
For example CLASP (a CL implementation), and OpenDylan.

So... I'm wondering if anyone here has tried to use MPS with Emacs?
Or has thoughts about it?

* Re: Memory Pool System (MPS)
@ 2024-03-02 21:48 ` Stefan Monnier via Emacs development discussions.
From: Stefan Monnier via Emacs development discussions. @ 2024-03-02 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> So... I'm wondering if anyone here has tried to use MPS with Emacs?
> Or has thoughts about it?

I have a vague recollection of MPS being mentioned many years ago, but
I don't think it go much further than your current question 🙁

A concurrent GC would be very welcome.
One that's maintained outside Emacs (and which Emacs can use cleanly),
would be really nice.