* Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r108495: Find rcs2log in the source-directory when running uninstalled
       [not found] <E1Sc5oI-0005tx-ID@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2012-06-06 12:44 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-06-06 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

> -;; Copyright (C) 1992-2012  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> +;; Copyright (C) 1992-2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

I notice you've installed such changes recently.
I'm not sure why you do that (I personally prefer the two spaces here,
tho it doesn't keep me up at night), but I also recently noticed that
the template used for new file uses two spaces, so if we decide to
change the layout, we should change it there as well.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r108495: Find rcs2log in the source-directory when running uninstalled
@ 2012-06-06 16:23   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-06-06 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> -;; Copyright (C) 1992-2012  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>> +;; Copyright (C) 1992-2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> I notice you've installed such changes recently.
> I'm not sure why you do that

For a long time, the example in maintain.info had two spaces here, and
being literal-minded, I assumed there was was some deep legal
significance to that, so I dutifully went around putting in two spaces.

Then I found out there wasn't any reason for two spaces

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2010-01/msg00346.html

so now I'm taking it out again when I remember to.

> (I personally prefer the two spaces here, tho it doesn't keep me up at
> night), but I also recently noticed that the template used for new
> file uses two spaces, so if we decide to change the layout, we should
> change it there as well.

What is the "template used for new files"?

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r108495: Find rcs2log in the source-directory when running uninstalled
@ 2012-06-06 16:45     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-06-06 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

> From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 12:23:01 -0400
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > (I personally prefer the two spaces here, tho it doesn't keep me up at
> > night), but I also recently noticed that the template used for new
> > file uses two spaces, so if we decide to change the layout, we should
> > change it there as well.
>
> What is the "template used for new files"?

src/s/template.h, presumably.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r108495: Find rcs2log in the source-directory when running uninstalled
@ 2012-06-06 18:48       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-06-06 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> What is the "template used for new files"?
>
> src/s/template.h, presumably.

I really doubt it. When was the last time a new src/s/*.h file was added?

I guess autoinsert. I don't know how many people use it, given how often
new files have non-standard formatting that needs fixing up.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r108495: Find rcs2log in the source-directory when running uninstalled
@ 2012-06-06 19:26     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-06-06 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>> -;; Copyright (C) 1992-2012  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>>> +;; Copyright (C) 1992-2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>> I notice you've installed such changes recently.
>> I'm not sure why you do that
> For a long time, the example in maintain.info had two spaces here, and
> being literal-minded, I assumed there was was some deep legal
> significance to that, so I dutifully went around putting in two spaces.
> Then I found out there wasn't any reason for two spaces
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2010-01/msg00346.html
> so now I'm taking it out again when I remember to.

Since there's no good technical reason either way, I suggest we stay
with what we've had for years (and what is still in maintain.info),
i.e. 2 spaces.

>> (I personally prefer the two spaces here, tho it doesn't keep me up at
>> night), but I also recently noticed that the template used for new
>> file uses two spaces, so if we decide to change the layout, we should
>> change it there as well.
> What is the "template used for new files"?

autoinsert.el.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r108495: Find rcs2log in the source-directory when running uninstalled
@ 2012-06-06 20:04       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-06-06 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Since there's no good technical reason either way, I suggest we stay
> with what we've had for years (and what is still in maintain.info),
> i.e. 2 spaces.

As you wish. I figured since I'm basically the only person who ever
bothers to maintain these lines, no-one would else would care about
their whitespace.

However, maintain.info hasn't contained two spaces for years. Again:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2010-01/msg00346.html

  At Jim's suggestion, I replaced the two spaces with one in maintain.texi.

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/gnustandards/maintain.texi?revision=1.178&root=gnustandards&view=markup&pathrev=MAIN

which is why I started doing this in the first place.

On a semi-related subject, log-edit-font-lock-gnu-style claims to relate
to the GNU coding standards. Where in those standards does it discourage
putting a lone word on a single line, etc?

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r108495: Find rcs2log in the source-directory when running uninstalled
@ 2012-06-06 21:05         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-06-06 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

> As you wish. I figured since I'm basically the only person who ever
> bothers to maintain these lines, no-one would else would care about
> their whitespace.

I only care to the extent that I see them changed.  I otherwise don't
care nearly enough.

> However, maintain.info hasn't contained two spaces for years. Again:

Then, feel free to keep changing them opportunistically, as you've done
recently.

> On a semi-related subject, log-edit-font-lock-gnu-style claims to relate
> to the GNU coding standards.  Where in those standards does it discourage
> putting a lone word on a single line, etc?

[ Did I manage to put that there?  Hmm... good.  ]
That's just general style, indeed.