* Turning off password prompting?
@ 2016-11-07 20:54 Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2016-11-07 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

 Hey all,

I have a set of expect scripts that interact with various services to
launch a custom application on multiple servers, however when I do the
launch, comint-watch-for-password-prompt minibuffers pop up even though
expect is doing the password handling.

Looking at the source code and seeing how the hooks are installed I don't
see any way to turn password prompting off. Am I missing anything? If not
I'd like to propose adding a few millisecond delay that checks to see if
execution has continued past the password prompt. If so someone/something
has entered the password "behind Emacs' back" and there's no need to prompt.

Thoughts?

Noah

* Re: Turning off password prompting?
@ 2016-11-07 21:37 ` Evgeny Roubinchtein
From: Evgeny Roubinchtein @ 2016-11-07 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noah Evans; +Cc: Emacs Development

Does
  (remove-hook 'comint-output-filter-functions
'comint-watch-for-password-prompt)
fail to do what you want?

@ 2016-11-07 21:44   ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2016-11-07 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evgeny Roubinchtein; +Cc: Emacs Development

It's mostly laziness. What I'd like is solution that lets me enter values
interactively in the minibuffer when I'm running interactively and have it
automatically run when I'm not. I do both in the same shell window.
Removing the hook *would* get rid of the problem, but my password would be
cleartext.

@ 2016-11-08 13:12 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-11-08 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Looking at the source code and seeing how the hooks are installed I don't
> see any way to turn password prompting off. Am I missing anything? If not
> I'd like to propose adding a few millisecond delay that checks to see if
> execution has continued past the password prompt.

Sounds like a good idea.  And additionally, the minibuffer could
automatically be canceled when further output is received.