* The "opposite of ediff"
@ 2012-10-28  6:43 Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2012-10-28  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I often am trying to pick out common regions from multiple files.  This
cries out for the "opposite of ediff": something that will walk me
through the common areas of files that are substantially different and
show them to me with their differing surrounding context.  Ediff turns
out to be pretty bad at this.  I can generate a list of common regions
using simian, but what I really need is an interactive browser.  Any
ideas?  Is this a problem you've already solved?

Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing                  Software Development        Training
http://www.boostpro.com             Clang/LLVM/EDG Compilers  C++  Boost

* Re: The "opposite of ediff"
@ 2012-10-28 13:33 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-10-28 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I often am trying to pick out common regions from multiple files.  This
> cries out for the "opposite of ediff": something that will walk me
> through the common areas of files that are substantially different and
> show them to me with their differing surrounding context.  Ediff turns
> out to be pretty bad at this.  I can generate a list of common regions
> using simian, but what I really need is an interactive browser.  Any
> ideas?  Is this a problem you've already solved?

If you find a Free Software tool that does such comparisons, we'd be
happy to include some support for it,