* Mac OS X Command Line Options Bug Fix
@ 2002-08-11  0:44 Andrew Choi
From: Andrew Choi @ 2002-08-11  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Everyone,

I've checked in the following patch to the CVS that allows Emacs to be
started correctly as a GUI application from the terminal on Mac OS X.
Therefore command line options can now be passed to Emacs.  The OS X
loader still requires a pathname to the executable in the bundle be
typed to the shell for Emacs to correctly find its resources.

Now that this problem is solved, I will soon be changing
src/makefile.in to install the executable only at one place (within
the application bundle in its usual place, which is placed in say
/Applications/ or some other location specified by the user).  The
`executable' in $prefix/bin/ will really be just something like the
following script:

  #!/bin/sh
  /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs $*

When invoked from the command line, it will start a GUI or terminal
version depending on whether the -nw switch is used.

Of course one can still double-click on the application bundle in the
Finder to start Emacs.

I invite everyone to test this patch.

Andrew.
-----
2002-08-10  Andrew Choi  <akochoi@shaw.ca>

        * mac.c (sys_select) [MAC_OSX]: New function.

        * macterm.c (MakeMeTheFrontProcess): New function.
        (mac_initialize): Call MakeMeTheFrontProcess.

        * s/darwin.h: Define select to sys_select.

* Re: Mac OS X Command Line Options Bug Fix
       [not found] <m265yiql5h.fsf@shaw.ca>
@ 2002-08-12  8:40 ` Andreas Schwab
       [not found]   ` <m28z3cdqih.fsf@shaw.ca>
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2002-08-12  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mac-emacs-devel, emacs-devel

Andrew Choi <akochoi@shaw.ca> writes:

|>   #!/bin/sh
|>   /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs $*

Please use "$@" (including the quotes) instead of $* to get quoting right.

Andreas.

SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nürnberg

* Re: Mac OS X Command Line Options Bug Fix
@ 2002-08-12 15:51   ` Andrew Choi
       [not found]   ` <m28z3cdqih.fsf@shaw.ca>
From: Andrew Choi @ 2002-08-12 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mac-emacs-devel, emacs-devel

> Andrew Choi <akochoi@shaw.ca> writes:
>
> |>   #!/bin/sh
> |>   /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs $*
>
> Please use "$@" (including the quotes) instead of $* to get quoting right.
>
> Andreas.

Hi Andreas,

Would you consider contributing the necessary changes to makefile.in
for building and installation Emacs on Mac OS X?

Andrew.

@ 2002-08-12 16:08     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2002-08-12 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mac-emacs-devel, emacs-devel

Andrew Choi <akochoi@shaw.ca> writes:

|> > Please use "$@" (including the quotes) instead of $* to get quoting right.
|> >
|> > Andreas.
|>
|> Hi Andreas,
|>
|> Would you consider contributing the necessary changes to makefile.in
|> for building and installation Emacs on Mac OS X?

Not sure which makefile.in you mean.  I cannot find anything related to
this issue.