* Mac OS X Installer Package Script
@ 2002-07-04 19:49 Andrew Choi
From: Andrew Choi @ 2002-07-04 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: steventamm

Hi,

I've just added the file mac/make-package to the CVS tree.

This is shell script contributed by Steven Tamm.  When run, it creates
an Installer package file containing the files needed by Emacs.  The
Installer application can then be used to install them.

Please test this and let me know if it works for you.  I will remove
the scripts make-bin-dist and osx-install soon (since they serve the
same purpose).

Andrew.

* Re: Mac OS X Installer Package Script
       [not found] <m21yajgtnp.fsf@shaw.ca>
@ 2002-07-04 20:37 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2002-07-04 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, mac-emacs-devel, steventamm

Andrew Choi <akochoi@shaw.ca> writes:

|> Hi,
|>
|> I've just added the file mac/make-package to the CVS tree.
|>
|> This is shell script contributed by Steven Tamm.  When run, it creates
|> an Installer package file containing the files needed by Emacs.  The
|> Installer application can then be used to install them.
|>
|> Please test this and let me know if it works for you.

Can this be changed to not clutter up the source directory?  Currently the
script runs configure and make in the source directory.  Why not use an
existing build tree?  I prefer to keep the source tree as clean as
possible, so I always build in a separate directory.

Andreas.

SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nürnberg

* Re: Mac OS X Installer Package Script
@ 2002-07-05  8:14 Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2002-07-05  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

ndrew Choi <akochoi@shaw.ca> writes:

> Hi,
> I've just added the file mac/make-package to the CVS tree.
> This is shell script contributed by Steven Tamm.  When run, it creates
> an Installer package file containing the files needed by Emacs.  The
> Installer application can then be used to install them.
> Please test this and let me know if it works for you.

I don't think it should run configure/make install.  That is best done the
"normal" way.  This script does not allow any arguments to configure or make,
or indeed, choice of make program to run.  Some of us have shell scripts
to run configure in a special way, that can't be done either with
this script.

It seems a bit much to have to build an installer and then run that just
to install Emacs.  I would prefer to have an option to configure where
to install the application (/Application by default is fine), and then
"make install" installs everything.  A script to build an installer is cool,
but I would not like for it to be mandatory.

Oh, another thing, "make install" should not install an emacs executable
in $prefix/bin, since that executable can't be run without crashing.

Just my thoughts,

	Jan D.

* Re: Mac OS X Installer Package Script
@ 2002-07-05 15:03 ` Andrew Choi
From: Andrew Choi @ 2002-07-05 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> [...]
>
> I don't think it should run configure/make install.  That is best done the
> "normal" way.  This script does not allow any arguments to configure or make,
> or indeed, choice of make program to run.  Some of us have shell scripts
> to run configure in a special way, that can't be done either with
> this script.

Hi Jan,

It's useful to have a script like mac/make-package to generate a
Installer package for use as a `binary distribution'.  The ability to
pass options to configure and make can be added.  Most of the time,
I'll still be using `normal' way of configure and make.

> It seems a bit much to have to build an installer and then run that just
> to install Emacs.  I would prefer to have an option to configure where
> to install the application (/Application by default is fine), and then
> "make install" installs everything.  A script to build an installer is cool,
> but I would not like for it to be mandatory.
>
> Oh, another thing, "make install" should not install an emacs executable
> in $prefix/bin, since that executable can't be run without crashing.

I agree, these need to be fixed.  I'll look at them when I can.  Don't
worry.  I don't intend to make the use of Installer mandatory.

@ 2002-07-07  7:24 ` Eric Gillespie
From: Eric Gillespie @ 2002-07-07  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jan D." <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:

> Oh, another thing, "make install" should not install an emacs executable
> in $prefix/bin, since that executable can't be run without crashing.

I agree with your points about the installer, but not this.  The
binary installed to $prefix/bin *does* work, with -nw.  I don't
want to have to add /Applicatins/Emacs.app/blahblahblah to my path
just so i can run emacs -nw.  Please keep the binary in $prefix/bin.

--
Eric Gillespie <*> epg@pretzelnet.org

Build a fire for a man, and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on
fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. -Terry Pratchett

* Re: Mac OS X Installer Package Script
@ 2002-07-08  6:04   ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2002-07-08  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Eric Gillespie writes:

> "Jan D." <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:
>
> > Oh, another thing, "make install" should not install an emacs executable
> > in $prefix/bin, since that executable can't be run without crashing.
>
> I agree with your points about the installer, but not this.  The
> binary installed to $prefix/bin *does* work, with -nw.  I don't
> want to have to add /Applicatins/Emacs.app/blahblahblah to my path
> just so i can run emacs -nw.  Please keep the binary in $prefix/bin.

How about installing a script that does the right thing for all
cases?  The problem with the binary in $prefix/bin is that it hides
the working Emacs that is preinstalled in MacOS X.

	Jan D.