* Emacs pretest 24.3.92
@ 2014-06-27  6:12 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-06-27  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The next pretest for what will be the 24.4 release of Emacs
(the extensible text editor) is available at

  ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-24.3.92.tar.xz

Please give it as much testing as you can.

As always, if you encounter problems building or using Emacs,
send a report to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org with full details
(if possible, use M-x report-emacs-bug).

Thanks for helping to test Emacs.

* Re: Emacs pretest 24.3.92
@ 2014-06-27 12:23 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2014-06-27 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

Since I use Emacs for a lot of strange things on Windows and not only
GNU/Linux I would love to help testing and iron out bugs. Is there someone
building Emacs binaries for Windows on a regular basis?

Thanks!

/Mathias

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 8:12 AM, Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:

> The next pretest for what will be the 24.4 release of Emacs
> (the extensible text editor) is available at
>
>   ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-24.3.92.tar.xz
>
> Please give it as much testing as you can.
>
> As always, if you encounter problems building or using Emacs,
> send a report to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org with full details
> (if possible, use M-x report-emacs-bug).
>
> Thanks for helping to test Emacs.

* Re: Emacs pretest 24.3.92
@ 2014-06-27 12:57   ` Eli Zaretskii
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-06-27 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathias Dahl; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Mathias Dahl <mathias.dahl@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 14:23:20 +0200
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Since I use Emacs for a lot of strange things on Windows and not only
> GNU/Linux I would love to help testing and iron out bugs.

Thanks.

> Is there someone building Emacs binaries for Windows on a regular
> basis?

You mean, for personal use?  I do, obviously, as well as Juanma,
Martin, and a few others.  Just search the list archives for people
who complained about the Windows build being broken, and you will have
their names.

* Re: Emacs pretest 24.3.92
@ 2014-06-27 15:50     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-06-27 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel, Mathias Dahl

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> You mean, for personal use?  I do, obviously, as well as Juanma,
> Martin, and a few others.

It would be great if one of you would make the official Windows pretest
binaries. Nobody has done that since ~ 23.2 (?).

* Re: Emacs pretest 24.3.92
@ 2014-06-27 19:38       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-06-27 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel, mathias.dahl

> From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> Cc: Mathias Dahl <mathias.dahl@gmail.com>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 11:50:18 -0400
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > You mean, for personal use?  I do, obviously, as well as Juanma,
> > Martin, and a few others.
>
> It would be great if one of you would make the official Windows pretest
> binaries. Nobody has done that since ~ 23.2 (?).

If you (or someone) make this easy, I just might.  Right now, the pain
of uploading _anything_ to GNU ftp sites is too much for this
curmudgeon.

* Re: Emacs pretest 24.3.92
@ 2014-06-27 19:59         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-06-27 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel, mathias.dahl

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> If you (or someone) make this easy, I just might.  Right now, the pain
> of uploading _anything_ to GNU ftp sites is too much for this
> curmudgeon.

I find it pretty trivial using gnulib's gnupload script.

* Re: Emacs pretest 24.3.92
@ 2014-06-27 20:10           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-06-27 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel, mathias.dahl

> From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> Cc: mathias.dahl@gmail.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 15:59:28 -0400
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > If you (or someone) make this easy, I just might.  Right now, the pain
> > of uploading _anything_ to GNU ftp sites is too much for this
> > curmudgeon.
>
> I find it pretty trivial using gnulib's gnupload script.

You do realize that whoever builds Emacs on Windows actually does that
on a Windows machine, right?  So running on such a system a Unix shell
script that needs a matching ncftp installation, and also gnupg with
keys, is not something which will work without setup and tinkering.

What I meant by "easy" is how I upload packages to sourceforge: just
point to the file and click a button.  Why cannot GNU ftp site be this
easy?

So it's not trivial for me.  Volunteers are welcome, of course.

* Re: Emacs pretest 24.3.92
@ 2014-06-27 20:16             ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-06-27 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel, mathias.dahl

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> You do realize that whoever builds Emacs on Windows actually does that
> on a Windows machine, right?

Make the tarfile on your Windows machine, scp it to fencepost, upload
it from there using gnupload.

* Re: Emacs pretest 24.3.92
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-06-27 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel, mathias.dahl

> From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> Cc: mathias.dahl@gmail.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 16:16:29 -0400
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > You do realize that whoever builds Emacs on Windows actually does that
> > on a Windows machine, right?
>
> Make the tarfile on your Windows machine, scp it to fencepost, upload
> it from there using gnupload.

I don't have gnupg set up there, either.

Like I said: not trivial.  Please believe me when I say that.

* Re: Emacs pretest 24.3.92
@ 2014-06-27 20:58                 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-06-27 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel, mathias.dahl

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I don't have gnupg set up there, either.

IIRC, the only setting-up you have to do is run gpg --gen-key.

Or perhaps cygwin would enable you do to the whole thing on your own machine.

Or perhaps someone else will do it.

* Re: Emacs pretest 24.3.92
@ 2014-06-27 21:09                   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-06-27 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Details for anyone interested in doing this:

https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Automated-Upload-Registration.html

Those are one-time steps. After that just, use gnupload as detailed in
the following nodes, or in Emacs admin/make-tarball.txt.

* Re: Emacs pretest 24.3.92
@ 2014-06-28  4:31   ` Chris
From: Chris @ 2014-06-28  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mathias.dahl; +Cc: emacs-devel

From: Mathias Dahl <mathias.dahl@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest 24.3.92
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 14:23:20 +0200

Hi Mathias,
> Since I use Emacs for a lot of strange things on Windows and not only
> GNU/Linux I would love to help testing and iron out bugs. Is there someone
> building Emacs binaries for Windows on a regular basis?
If you want 64-Bit Emacs for Windows, you can try my build at

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/emacsbinw64/

Best wishes,
Chris.

* Re: Emacs pretest 24.3.92
@ 2014-06-28  9:57   ` Uwe Siart
From: Uwe Siart @ 2014-06-28  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Mathias Dahl <mathias.dahl@gmail.com> writes:

> Since I use Emacs for a lot of strange things on Windows and not only
> GNU/Linux I would love to help testing and iron out bugs. Is there
> someone building Emacs binaries for Windows on a regular basis?

I'm quite happy with Dani Moncayo's builds:

<http://sourceforge.net/projects/emacs-bin/files/releases/>

--
Uwe

* Re: Emacs pretest 24.3.92