* nnmaildir, nnnil licenses
@ 2007-11-28  7:59 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-11-28  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Gnus

gnus/nnmaildir and nnnil describe themselves as "public domain", yet
also contain the standard Emacs GPL license text. That's a little
confusing, and I suggest removing the GPL text if these files are
indeed in the public domain.

* Re: nnmaildir, nnnil licenses
@ 2007-11-29  1:03 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-11-29  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel, ding

    gnus/nnmaildir and nnnil describe themselves as "public domain", yet
    also contain the standard Emacs GPL license text. That's a little
    confusing, and I suggest removing the GPL text if these files are
    indeed in the public domain.

Can you check where they actually came from
and how they were contributed?

* Re: nnmaildir, nnnil licenses
@ 2007-11-29  1:56   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-11-29  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

>     gnus/nnmaildir and nnnil describe themselves as "public domain", yet
>     also contain the standard Emacs GPL license text. That's a little
>     confusing, and I suggest removing the GPL text if these files are
>     indeed in the public domain.
>
> Can you check where they actually came from and how they were
> contributed?

Both files were written by Paul Jarc, and originally added as part of Gnus.

copyright.list contains an entry:

  GNUS    Paul Jarc       2001-10-02
  Disclaims changes (changed message.el, added nnmaildir.el)

so nnmaildir seems clear.

nnnil is almost a trivial file IMO. In any case, it would seem his
above disclaimer covers it, yes?

He also has an assignment for Emacs on file, but I guess since these
files were added to Gnus first, they are disclaimed rather than assigned.

* Re: nnmaildir, nnnil licenses
@ 2007-11-29 22:31     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-11-29 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel

    copyright.list contains an entry:

      GNUS    Paul Jarc       2001-10-02
      Disclaims changes (changed message.el, added nnmaildir.el)

    so nnmaildir seems clear.

    nnnil is almost a trivial file IMO. In any case, it would seem his
    above disclaimer covers it, yes?

Yes, it looks like the notice on nnmaildir.el is accurate.

* Re: nnmaildir, nnnil licenses
@ 2007-11-30  5:47       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-11-30  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

>       GNUS    Paul Jarc       2001-10-02
>       Disclaims changes (changed message.el, added nnmaildir.el)
[...]
> Yes, it looks like the notice on nnmaildir.el is accurate.

I'm also satisfied about nnnil.el (it being a file that Paul Jarc
contributed to Gnus). Are you?