* non-ascii in committer names?
@ 2013-06-13  8:47 joakim
From: joakim @ 2013-06-13  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Can the commiter name contain non-ascii with bzr?

I'm asking because I'm experiencing this issue:
https://github.com/felipec/git/issues/38

As far as I can determine non-ascii committer names doesnt work with
bzrlib, but I might be wrong.

In order to push the patches to bzr on Savannah, I need to resolve this
issue somehow.

The patches in question are here:
https://github.com/jave/xwidget-emacs/pull/1

Any suggestions?

Heres what I can come up with:

- Squash the committer name to ascii: That doesnt feel right, but if
 thats the convention, so be it.

- Fix bzrlib: I'm not sure it's a bug. The trace seems to indicate it's
  intended behaviour.

I would rather not stop updating the savannah repo, and I would rather
not stop using git-remote-bzr, if at all possible.

Joakim Verona

* Re: non-ascii in committer names?
@ 2013-06-13  9:02 ` Ulrich Müller
From: Ulrich Müller @ 2013-06-13  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Can the commiter name contain non-ascii with bzr? I'm asking because
> I'm experiencing this issue:
> https://github.com/felipec/git/issues/38

> As far as I can determine non-ascii committer names doesnt work with
> bzrlib, but I might be wrong.

> In order to push the patches to bzr on Savannah, I need to resolve
> this issue somehow.

> The patches in question are here:
> https://github.com/jave/xwidget-emacs/pull/1

> Any suggestions?

- Reject all contributions from not-entirely-ASCII people.
- Ask such strange contributors to change their name.
- Switch to git.

SCNR
Ulrich

* Re: non-ascii in committer names?
@ 2013-06-13  9:09   ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2013-06-13  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Müller; +Cc: joakim, emacs-devel

On Thu, Jun 13 2013, Ulrich Müller wrote:

> - Reject all contributions from not-entirely-ASCII people.
> - Ask such strange contributors to change their name.
> - Switch to git.

Please, let's not start this discussion again, we all know by now that
switching to Git isn't an option.

We should draft how to map people name to ASCII and document the legal
procedures that should be taken in the different countries to change
people names.

--
Julien Danjou
// Free Software hacker / freelance consultant

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: non-ascii in committer names?
@ 2013-06-13  9:23 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2013-06-13  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: emacs-devel

joakim@verona.se writes:

> Can the commiter name contain non-ascii with bzr?
>
> I'm asking because I'm experiencing this issue:
> https://github.com/felipec/git/issues/38

Must be a bug in git-remote-bzr, since I don't see that with
bzr-fastimport.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, schwab@suse.de
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7

* Re: non-ascii in committer names?
@ 2013-06-13 10:26   ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2013-06-13 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-devel

Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> writes:

> joakim@verona.se writes:
>
>> Can the commiter name contain non-ascii with bzr?
>>
>> I'm asking because I'm experiencing this issue:
>> https://github.com/felipec/git/issues/38
>
> Must be a bug in git-remote-bzr, since I don't see that with
> bzr-fastimport.

Yes, looking at the bzrlib code, it seems it can accept a unicode
committer name. So theres likely a encoding issue during conversion.

--

@ 2013-06-13 10:45     ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2013-06-13 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

joakim@verona.se writes:

>>> Can the commiter name contain non-ascii with bzr?
>>>
>>> I'm asking because I'm experiencing this issue:
>>> https://github.com/felipec/git/issues/38
>>
>> Must be a bug in git-remote-bzr, since I don't see that with
>> bzr-fastimport.
>
> Yes, looking at the bzrlib code, it seems it can accept a unicode
> committer name. So theres likely a encoding issue during conversion.

In my .emacs for Windows, I have this:

  (setq default-process-coding-system '(windows-1252-dos . windows-1252-dos))

Otherwise the non-ASCII chars end being corrupted in bzr logs.

(I introduced that setting years ago. Since, I don't use bzr and I don't
know if it is still needed.)

* Re: non-ascii in committer names?
@ 2013-06-13 10:52       ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2013-06-13 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: emacs-devel

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

>>> Must be a bug in git-remote-bzr, since I don't see that with
>>> bzr-fastimport.
>>
>> Yes, looking at the bzrlib code, it seems it can accept a unicode
>> committer name. So theres likely a encoding issue during conversion.
>
> In my .emacs for Windows, I have this:
>
>   (setq default-process-coding-system '(windows-1252-dos . windows-1252-dos))
>
> Otherwise the non-ASCII chars end being corrupted in bzr logs.
>
> (I introduced that setting years ago. Since, I don't use bzr and I don't
> know if it is still needed.)

I'm not on windows, but I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

--

@ 2013-06-13 16:08 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-06-13 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: emacs-devel

joakim@verona.se wrote:

> Can the commiter name contain non-ascii with bzr?

A 1 minute experiment shows no problem committing, logging etc, with
such names to a local bzr repo.

I'm sure the bzr mailing list could tell you more.

> I'm asking because I'm experiencing this issue:
> https://github.com/felipec/git/issues/38

Well because this issues contains the magic words git and bzr, you are
guaranteed to have a productive and helpful discussion here on
emacs-devel.

> Any suggestions?

Ask the bzr mailing list.

* Re: non-ascii in committer names?
@ 2013-06-13 17:17   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-06-13 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris wrote:

>> Can the commiter name contain non-ascii with bzr?
>
> A 1 minute experiment shows no problem committing, logging etc, with
> such names to a local bzr repo.

And here are examples of non-ascii committers and authors in Emacs itself:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-diffs/2013-06/msg00154.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-diffs/2013-05/msg00326.html