* Changing `string-to-int' to `string-to-number'
@ 2005-05-05 10:38 Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2005-05-05 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everybody.

I have an outstanding patch to more-or-less-globally change
`string-to-int' to `string-to-number' and squash the little warning
buggers. As previous experience has shown, these kind of changes often
trip over unsuspecting toes, so this time I've chosen to be careful
and ask before (turning 40 a few months ago must be getting into me :)

There are a few groups of files that I don't plan to touch, because
they're, AFAIK, externally maintained efforts and often do take pains
to maintain compatibility with older releases or non-GNU Emacsen,
i.e.:

 - eshell\*.el
 - gnus\*.el
 - mh-e\*.el

What about obsolete\*.el? Does it make sense? Being in obsolete\ does
not mean they're gonna be used with older releases, does it? And
url\*.el? My understanding is that the Emacs repository is *the* URL
repository, so it should be in sync with Emacs (meaning, it should use
the newer, shinnier functions).

Any comment whether these can/should/must/CAN'T/MUSTN'T be changed?
(Some have external maintainers, some had, some I'm not sure at all):

- printing.el
- speedbar.el
- emulation\edt.el
- emulation\tpu-extras.el
- emulation\vip.el
- emulation\viper-ex.el
- mail\feedmail.el
- mail\smtpmail.el
- progmodes\ada-xref.el
- progmodes\idlw*.el
- progmodes\ps-mode.el
- progmodes\vhdl-mode.el
- term\mac-win.el
- textmodes\ispell.el
- textmodes\org.el
- textmodes\reftex*.el

FWIW, the current list of files I'm planning to change (unless someone
objects, that is):

 - align.el
 - ansi-color.el
 - array.el
 - dired-aux.el
 - dired-x.el
 - ediff-diff.el
 - edmacro.el
 - emerge.el
 - faces.el
 - files.el
 - hexl.el
 - server.el
 - shell.el
 - startup.el
 - term.el
 - time-stamp.el
 - time.el
 - timezone.el
 - vms-patch.el
 - calendar/appt.el
 - calendar/cal-bahai.el
 - calendar/cal-hebrew.el
 - calendar/cal-islam.el
 - calendar/calendar.el
 - calendar/diary-lib.el
 - calendar/solar.el
 - emacs-lisp/lisp-mnt.el
 - emacs-lisp/re-builder.el
 - international/fontset.el
 - mail/mailalias.el
 - mail/rmail.el
 - mail/rmailsum.el
 - net/ange-ftp.el
 - play/gametree.el
 - progmodes/ebrowse.el
 - progmodes/etags.el
 - progmodes/flymake.el
 - term/sun-mouse.el
 - term/w32-win.el
 - term/x-win.el
 - textmodes/nroff-mode.el
 - textmodes/texinfmt.el

--
                   /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Changing `string-to-int' to `string-to-number'
@ 2005-05-05 14:35 ` Stefan Monnier
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-05-05 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> There are a few groups of files that I don't plan to touch, because
> they're, AFAIK, externally maintained efforts and often do take pains
> to maintain compatibility with older releases or non-GNU Emacsen,

string-to-number AFAIK exists in all versions of (X)Emacs, except maybe
Emacs-18, so compatibility is not an issue.

* Re: Changing `string-to-int' to `string-to-number'
@ 2005-05-06  7:14 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-05-06  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    What about obsolete\*.el? Does it make sense? Being in obsolete\ does
    not mean they're gonna be used with older releases, does it?

Nothing in the Emacs distribution is meant for use with older
releases.  If you want to fix those files, please do.

    Any comment whether these can/should/must/CAN'T/MUSTN'T be changed?
    (Some have external maintainers, some had, some I'm not sure at all):

I don't see why we shouldn't fix these.

* Re: Changing `string-to-int' to `string-to-number'
@ 2005-05-09  9:09 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2005-05-09  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Four days ago, I asked:

> I have an outstanding patch to more-or-less-globally change
> `string-to-int' to `string-to-number' and squash the little warning
> buggers.

I've received a private mail from someone who didn't object (more or
less), and an answer from Richard which was an "OK" of sorts.

I'll go forward with the change if no one objects. I'm thinking mostly
of people who usually have heavily modified working copies; from
memory of past changes, I'd say at least Miles, Stefan, Kim, Eli...

(I've already changed obsolete/*.el, but I don't really think anyone
has outstanding patches for these...)

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Changing `string-to-int' to `string-to-number'
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-25 22:54 ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2005-05-25 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

> There are a few groups of files that I don't plan to touch, because
> they're, AFAIK, externally maintained efforts and often do take pains
> to maintain compatibility with older releases or non-GNU Emacsen,
> i.e.:
>
>  - eshell\*.el
>  - gnus\*.el
>  - mh-e\*.el

That was thoughtful of you. Do you have any idea when string-to-number
was introduced? I would like to simply substitute string-to-number for
string-to-int, as you have done, but we are still supporting Emacs
20.7.

* Re: Changing `string-to-int' to `string-to-number'
@ 2005-05-25 23:48   ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2005-05-25 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:

[...]

> Do you have any idea when string-to-number was introduced? I would
> like to simply substitute string-to-number for string-to-int, as you
> have done, but we are still supporting Emacs 20.7.

string-to-number was introduced in Emacs 19.7.

Lute.

* Re: Changing `string-to-int' to `string-to-number'
@ 2005-05-25 23:52   ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2005-05-25 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:

> Do you have any idea when string-to-number
> was introduced?

Never mind. I have since read Stefan's note about its existence since
at least Emacs 19 which is suits us fine. Thanks.

* Re: Changing `string-to-int' to `string-to-number'
@ 2005-05-25 23:56     ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2005-05-25 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Lute Kamstra <Lute.Kamstra.lists@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> string-to-number was introduced in Emacs 19.7.

Thanks.

* Re: Changing `string-to-int' to `string-to-number'
@ 2005-05-26  6:01   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-05-26  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    That was thoughtful of you. Do you have any idea when string-to-number
    was introduced?

In 1993 or earlier.